DFW, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
... OK not really, it's 74F, but that's what the equipment is reading! :?

Intellitouch i5 system with an all Pentair supporting cast including MasterTemp heater.

I noticed a few weeks ago that the water temp sensor would intermittently indicate the pool was boiling and thought nothing of it. Hey, I have a regular pool thermometer that I trust more than that reading anyway!
Now I come to heat up the spa and, of course the system thinks the water is over 102F and won't spark up the heater.
(As a side note I cannot get it to start manually but that's more than likely use error.)

My initial reaction is that the sensor is on the fritz and replacing it should do the trick.
Something like this for ~$50 looks like the exact match:
http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?ic=2416&froogle=1

Before I go ahead..... I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone wiser than me has any pointers?

Thanks in advance :-D

matj6876 said:
... OK not really, it's 74F, but that's what the equipment is reading! :?

Intellitouch i5 system with an all Pentair supporting cast including MasterTemp heater.

I noticed a few weeks ago that the water temp sensor would intermittently indicate the pool was boiling and thought nothing of it. Hey, I have a regular pool thermometer that I trust more than that reading anyway!
Now I come to heat up the spa and, of course the system thinks the water is over 102F and won't spark up the heater.
(As a side note I cannot get it to start manually but that's more than likely use error.)Check connections for looseness/corrosion. Temperature sensors work off resistance, so a bad connection can cause problems.

My initial reaction is that the sensor is on the fritz and replacing it should do the trick.
Something like this for ~$50 looks like the exact match:
http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?ic=2416&froogle=1

Before I go ahead..... I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone wiser than me has any pointers?

Thanks in advance :-D
I wish I knew the parameters. In the car world, unplugging a sensor gives us a reading of -40F. Shorting the plug reads 273F. If those work, it's the sensor. But I don't know what pool electronics use, so that's just as an example, not as anything you should use for diagnosis.

Well, when my heater started acting strange, I called the local pool company that inspected the pool when I got the house a few months earlier.

That is the part he replaced. Cost me $275. Next time, I'll try to replace that part myself!

The sensor can go bad, but usually it is a problem with the cable between the sensor and the control unit. Check along the cable and see if it is nicked or cut anywhere and make sure it is fully connected to the control unit.

I had a thermistor prob too, didn't much matter for heat but it sure did for freeze protection, had to replace it, luckily was under warranty as it was only a few months old. Ha you had me hooked 187, I thought wow I could cook a hotdog in his pool :shock:

Its the temp sensor, you can find it drilled into yaud return line.It has a small low voltage wire from your intellitouch to temp sensor. Looks identical it the air sensor

Yep - I should have come back and closed this one off. It was the sensor. $40 replacement part and about 20 mins to replace. Local Pool place wanted $250 parts & labor... so I saved a buck or two on this one. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.