Hayward Super Pump 1.5hp Dual Speed

Fronobulax

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2010
Central Alabama
I put in a Dual Speed 1.5 horse Super Pump at the beginning of last winter and could not have been happier. I do not close the pool for the winter and running the pool at low speed was plenty to keep everything from freezing while saving me a few dollars in electricity.

The pump has a switch on the back that you have to manually flip to take the pump from low speed to high speed. Also the manual stated that you should not change the speed with the pump energized.

Does anyone know of a timer that would work with the Hayward that would:
a. Turn the pump on/off on a schedule
b. Flip the speed from low to high on a schedule
c. all of the above

I know I can do a with a water heater timer, but I would like to find something that would do item C...

Anyone know of a source for complex timers for pumps (well it's not a really complex function, but more complex than a plain water heater timer)?

Has anybody hooked one of these up to the motor on the Hayward Super Pump? I wasn't sure if anyone knew where to find the info on how to wire it up. I could probably figure it out. But would prefer the safer method if someone knows where the info is or knows how it is done.

Would you wire each pole of the double pole switch as a single pole in the timer?

When I get home tonight I will try to draw out my understanding of the circuit.

I really do appreciate your help with this!

I'm trying to get better info, on the web, but the pump motor is a A.O. Smith CXPM Two-Speed 230Volt 1.5/.25 HP motor.

If you look on page 65 of the PDF attached to this link you will see it refer to wiring diagram 167201 connection label 167200.

A couple of questions on this...

First... The pump only had a drawing for how to connect with the switch that came mounted on the back of the pump housing, but it appears from this drawing that I can remove the switch and run L2 in on connection point 2 or 4 (depending on whether I want to run high speed or low). I'm not sure this is true but it looks that way...

Second is only a clarifying question if the first is true. Since the switch in the drawing is not an electrical representation I cannot tell what it does. When I wired the pump I noted that two terminals of the switch end up on the connection board and one terminal connects to a wire that disappears into the motor housing (I believe the line marked as terminating with "insulated lead" is the one). Does this wire go to anything? If not does this switch just act as a single pole switch to engage the high speed phase leaving the low speed phase on all the time?

Here's how you would wire it.
  • Disconnect hi-lo switch[/*:m:1kztsh5l]
  • Hook high speed to wire going to pin 1 in motor.[/*:m:1kztsh5l]
  • Hook low speed to wire going to pin 4 in motor[/*:m:1kztsh5l]
Hi and Low speeds must not be on at the same time.
When you pick the timer let me know and I can help hook it up if you need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.