Ready to convert fully to Trouble Free

alanrmeadows

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2010
I've decided against using my tablets and Turbo Shock for this swim season and am ready to fully convert to Trouble Free methods. Here are my current readings:

FC 16
CC 0
TC 16
pH 7.5
TA 150
CH 280
CYA 34

I know my FC will fall over the next few days to normal levels...any other urgent changes I need to make? What do you think about CYA...do most of you prefer to keep it around 50?

Thanks,
Alan
IG
Fiberglass
Sand Filter
17,500 Gallons

alanrmeadows said:
What about alkalinity...does it need to be lowered now? If so, can I lower it all at one time or do I need to do it gradually?

Thanks,
Alan
It happens gradually. Add acid to lower pH to about 7.2, aerate, retest, repeat.

It can take a lot of acid, but you don't want to add it all at once or it can push pH too low, which causes other problems.

Alan,
I have spent nearly one month lowering TA from at least 300ish to 110. When I get to 7.6 I add the acid to lower to 7.2. I aerate with one return and in the initial stages I put a sub-pump in the end and attached the hose and a sprinkler head and let it broadcast over the pool. I only run the pump about 12 hours. It takes approximately 2-3 days for my ph to go from 7.2 to 7.6ish. If we get rain, it raises faster because of the aeration quality of the rain. I test ph daily along with FC so it's easy to monitor. I'm on my 4th gallon of MA...so it can take a long time, but I tackled this after everything else was in balance so it hasn't been too much hassle.

I have high TA in my fill water so this has always been a problem for me. Now I understand how to fix...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.