Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ready to convert fully to Trouble Free

1. Back To Top    #1

Ready to convert fully to Trouble Free

I've decided against using my tablets and Turbo Shock for this swim season and am ready to fully convert to Trouble Free methods. Here are my current readings:

FC 16
    CC 0
    TC 16
    pH 7.5
    TA 150
    CH 280
    CYA 34

I know my FC will fall over the next few days to normal levels...any other urgent changes I need to make? What do you think about CYA...do most of you prefer to keep it around 50?

Thanks,
    Alan
    IG
    Fiberglass
    Sand Filter
    17,500 Gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ready to convert fully to Trouble Free

I would raise CYA up to about 50. It will then tend to drift down very slowly through the season. By the end of the season it should still be above 30.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What about alkalinity...does it need to be lowered now? If so, can I lower it all at one time or do I need to do it gradually?

Thanks,
    Alan

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by alanrmeadows
    What about alkalinity...does it need to be lowered now? If so, can I lower it all at one time or do I need to do it gradually?

Thanks,
    Alan
    It happens gradually. Add acid to lower pH to about 7.2, aerate, retest, repeat.

It can take a lot of acid, but you don't want to add it all at once or it can push pH too low, which causes other problems.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

If all I can use to raise pH is a return jet pointed up towards the water, about how long should I wait until I retest for pH?

Thanks,
    Alan

6. Back To Top    #6

It varies quite a bit. I would test after four to eight hours, and if it hasn't changed much, switch to checking daily.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Alan,
    I have spent nearly one month lowering TA from at least 300ish to 110. When I get to 7.6 I add the acid to lower to 7.2. I aerate with one return and in the initial stages I put a sub-pump in the end and attached the hose and a sprinkler head and let it broadcast over the pool. I only run the pump about 12 hours. It takes approximately 2-3 days for my ph to go from 7.2 to 7.6ish. If we get rain, it raises faster because of the aeration quality of the rain. I test ph daily along with FC so it's easy to monitor. I'm on my 4th gallon of MA...so it can take a long time, but I tackled this after everything else was in balance so it hasn't been too much hassle.

I have high TA in my fill water so this has always been a problem for me. Now I understand how to fix...
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit