How long to run pool cleaner (polaris 280)

My 380 stays in the pool 24/7 except when we're swimming. The way I read the manual, it's intended to be that way. (Hard to imagine how you can run the thing on a timer, if you take it out all the time.)

I run mine 2-3 hrs/day depending on the leaf count. That varies a lot though; I think geekgranny runs hers about 48 hrs/day. :) (She has a major silt issue.)
--paulr

PaulR said:
My 380 stays in the pool 24/7 except when we're swimming. The way I read the manual, it's intended to be that way. (Hard to imagine how you can run the thing on a timer, if you take it out all the time.)

I run mine 2-3 hrs/day depending on the leaf count. That varies a lot though; I think geekgranny runs hers about 48 hrs/day. :) (She has a major silt issue.)
--paulr

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well you were close. 36 hrs per day. :shock:

Actually I've got it down to five 2 hour cycles per 24 hr day. That is as long as I use the Polaris Disposable EZ bags. They filter out a lot of the microscopic "powder". The bags I made from allergy fabric (like used on allergy pillow and mattress protectors and frost cloth for plants) were filtering too finely so they clogged in a few hours. I'm still experimenting with design and "fabrics" though. The EZ bags are really expensive and I go through one every couple or three days, and that's emptying them. (they don't have an opening at the large end like the regular filters so I clean them out similar to cleaning out a Slime Bag.) After three days the "fabric" begins to deteriorate so that holes begin to form.

Before using Fiber Clear and the EZ bags, and Pool Skims, over many years, I ran the Polaris round the clock some parts of the year. I'm getting into somewhat of a groove now and see the light at the end of the tunnel, with some of my recent experiments, the new Quad 80 filter, new VF pump and Fiber Clear cellulose.

Many people can get by with a few hours a week. My neighbor, who has more grass cover than I, so much less dust, and only one old dog, who spend most of her time over here kicking up dust with my pack, and an automatic cover does run her Polaris several hours a day but could go longer if she was as finicky as I am. :lol:

gg=alice

mine runs about all the time, I don't have it on a timer so i just leave it on. The way I look at it, more is better!!!!
but lets be honest here, the more you run it the more wear and tear on it and its going to wear out faster, or should I say your going to be replacing parts more often.
but I love mine!!! She is a big help.

run the 280 for as long as it keeps the pool clean, this could be 1 hour per day to 6 hours per day depending on the amount of debris is in the pool, but remember the 280 has gears and cogs so the more you run it the quicker it will wear out. On average it should take about 3 hours to clean a standard size pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.