Everyday chlorinating with bleach

Sep 2, 2009
Killen, AL
I bought a house with a pool last August and with the help of the board and pool school eventually got rid of the Baquacil. I am currently using the last of the chlor tabs and plan to clorinate everyday with bleach (I already use it to shock) How many ppm should I add each day? I realize it will vary with pH, CYA and temp/sunlight but I am just looking for a general rule of thumb to start with and I can test and adjust from there. TIA

What type of test kit are you using? Since you are using trichlor now, you really need to be able to test CYA to find your correct level of chlorine to keep in the pool. As an example, my pool uses between 1-2 ppm chlorine each day, and my CYA is 50 ppm.

You need to add enough bleach each evening to raise your FC to the target level indicated in the Chlorine CYA Chart, based on your current level of CYA. For example, if your CYA is 40 ppm, then your target level is a FC of 5. So when you test, you need to add enough to bring that FC to 5. How much bleach that this would take depends on your pool size and what your current FC is.

You probably want to keep two of the big jugs of bleach on hand, per week, just guessing.

Then daily or every other day, test the FC. I don't use the kit in the blue box, too hard to judge the upper end levels. Counting drops with the TF100 kit is so much easier.

Based on that result, enter your info into the Pool Calculator and add bleach as needed.

Keep records of your tests and additions and you will learn what is normal for your pool and if things get out of whack you will notice.

I buy 4 to 6 big jugs at a time from Walmart. If they have it in stock, which they don't always. If I have to pay more than that, I buy a bit less. Six is what fits in the trunk easily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.