Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Everyday chlorinating with bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Everyday chlorinating with bleach

I bought a house with a pool last August and with the help of the board and pool school eventually got rid of the Baquacil. I am currently using the last of the chlor tabs and plan to clorinate everyday with bleach (I already use it to shock) How many ppm should I add each day? I realize it will vary with pH, CYA and temp/sunlight but I am just looking for a general rule of thumb to start with and I can test and adjust from there. TIA
    18x36 IG, 22k Gal, Vinyl, 1HP Hayward SuperPump, 250lb Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Everyday chlorinating with bleach

What type of test kit are you using? Since you are using trichlor now, you really need to be able to test CYA to find your correct level of chlorine to keep in the pool. As an example, my pool uses between 1-2 ppm chlorine each day, and my CYA is 50 ppm.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

2-3ppm daily seems about average in the South.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

You need to add enough bleach each evening to raise your FC to the target level indicated in the Chlorine CYA Chart, based on your current level of CYA. For example, if your CYA is 40 ppm, then your target level is a FC of 5. So when you test, you need to add enough to bring that FC to 5. How much bleach that this would take depends on your pool size and what your current FC is.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

You probably want to keep two of the big jugs of bleach on hand, per week, just guessing.

Then daily or every other day, test the FC. I don't use the kit in the blue box, too hard to judge the upper end levels. Counting drops with the TF100 kit is so much easier.

Based on that result, enter your info into the Pool Calculator and add bleach as needed.

Keep records of your tests and additions and you will learn what is normal for your pool and if things get out of whack you will notice.

I buy 4 to 6 big jugs at a time from Walmart. If they have it in stock, which they don't always. If I have to pay more than that, I buy a bit less. Six is what fits in the trunk easily.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.