Playground slides as pool slides

Apr 3, 2010
I'm just trying to figure out what the problem would be with adapting a playground slide as a pool slide. Build a solid framework, pressure treated lumber, take it apart each year for storage. A couple water spigots.

Why, might you ask? A pool slide isn't in the budget, and there's a big difference between a $100 playground slide and a $1000 pool slide.

Has anyone done this?

I haven't heard of it before but I guess if it is configured with safety in mind - using angles and distance for landing, etc., I guess it would be possible. I can't say I never thought about that as well when my kids were young.

Check with your insurance company... alot of them wont write a homeowners policy with slides or diving boards, and consider you putting one in without consulting them breach of contract and will cancel you. I want one too!

I HATE the famous "oh no diving boards are evil". Yes there are diving accidents but most of the diving accidents don't involve diving boards or involve pools that don't even follow the NSPI guidelines. There's also another good part of accidents that involve alcohol. I saw the statistics somewhere and only ~10% (if I remember correctly) were caused because of a diving board. This is like a witch hunt caused by sue-happy americans.

What I notice about "swimming pool" slides is that they are always curved. I suppose that is because many pools do not have a whole lot of decking to support the length for a straight slide and you probably do want the kids to be off the grass as they run back to get on the slide again. Less mud and grass tracked into the pool.

mart242 said:
bk406 said:
mart242 said:
This is like a witch hunt caused by sue-happy americans.
Thats a little harsh :wink:

The truth hurts? :lol:

:cheers:
HEHE I love it, It's soo true our legal system panders to the weak feeble minded and says "ohh poor you, you deserve some "compensation" let's take that bad person to court so you can get some money" What The Heck ever happend to Personal Responsibilty, Owning up to ones own actions. Mart242 I tip my hat to you for calling it like it IS. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I was installing my deck (3 summers ago) I also purchased a "turbo tube slide". I was in the same boat and couldn't see dropping that much money on a "pool" slide. I did everything myself and was just wanting to get the deck finished so I decided not to put up the slide.

The main reason I didn't is because it was going to take time to engineer it into the design of the deck, and I had free helpers who were wanting to "finish" the project just as much if not more so than myself.

I wanted to build a small tower base about 48" by 48" with a full set of steps "steps are time consuming". I should have decided on a ladder. I also wanted the posts for this tower to come from the gound under the deck. This meant I needed to find the spot where the slide would sit (precisely). which was eating up valuable time on the deck project. So... I just decide to add it later. :cool:

I have nephews, 3 and 1.5, w/ two nieces on the way. I'm thinking that next year, I'll find one of these:
little_tikes_slide.jpg

and just screw it to the deck. (I only have a deck at one end of the pool.)

That can't be too dangerous...

I myself am wanting a slide in my pool, I have a second house that has one turbotwister and the kids loved it. I was able to take all my equipment as new owners don't want pool but alas the slide is curved the wrong way and way to large for the little pool I now have. So I'm planning on making my own slide out of a playground slide that can be moved and taken out during the winter. Looking into designs myself. I've seen quite a few good ones and plan on tweaking the design to make it very sturdy.

I was thinking about the same thing. this isn't quite a $100 slide, but it's got a small foot print, and since I have to build a deck anyway, the platform construction wouldn't be bad.
Turbo+Tube+Slide+-+Forest+Green.jpg
. I found it here: http://www.csnstores.com/Swing-n-Slide-NE-4405-T-SNS1101.html?cv=#pr-header-SNS1101.

Water delivery isn't a big deal, a simple waterfall pump would do the trick, and the piping is easily hidden.

2 concerns:

1) seams - leaking, which isn't a huge deal, you can seal those, but comfort is an issue. I was wondering if you could take some of this: http://www.closedcellfoams.com/neoprene.html and make a "runner" out of it on the bottom of the slide?

2) speed/safety - we have a large 6ft deep deep end, so I think overall depth would work, but add water, and I'm not sure how to determine if the exit speed would be too high.

Anyone care to comment?

If anyone is going to get a slide for the pool, get one that's DESIGNED for a pool. They are safety rated for a pool (as safe as they can be anyway) have the proper mounting hardware, and, i'll say it again, are DESIGNED for the application.

I missed some of the responses above. This is a family site and very, very nice in the way things are handled. As a result, I will not use the terms, phrases, or words needed to convey what i think of not talking to the insurance company about slides, diving boards, etc. All i will say is that is not a wise thing to do :hammer:

here is what i did. works great! kids love it! :goodjob:[attachment=2:2f8l2dej]68312.jpg[/attachment:2f8l2dej][attachment=1:2f8l2dej]90450.jpg[/attachment:2f8l2dej][attachment=0:2f8l2dej]33156.jpg[/attachment:2f8l2dej]

Attachments

• 68312.jpg
    68312.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,122
  • 90450.jpg
    90450.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 33156.jpg
    33156.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,024
Reactions: RainbowFartz
even made a mist system to keep the slide wet![attachment=2:3lzgoao7]32592.jpg[/attachment:3lzgoao7][attachment=1:3lzgoao7]46476.jpg[/attachment:3lzgoao7][attachment=0:3lzgoao7]87444.jpg[/attachment:3lzgoao7]

Attachments

• 32592.jpg
    32592.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 1,018
  • 46476.jpg
    46476.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 87444.jpg
    87444.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 984
Reactions: RainbowFartz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.