I think my filtering system needs help

Nov 25, 2009
Cleona, PA
I have pics and descriptions. My pump is pumping.... and it seems fine. But there are a couple leaks, and I'm not a fan of the hoses.

PICT0113.JPG

PICT0114.JPG

You can see the one hose, from the pump to the filter is sagging. They are 3' hoses. What would work better?

PICT0115.JPG

The return into the pool has a crack. Could I caulk that somehow? Or do I have to replace it? Can I do anything without the need to lower the water level?

PICT0119.JPG

There is water dripping from the discharge port of the multiflow valve. I had accidentally started the pump while it was in between Filter and Waste, so I think the dripping might be residual from that. Did I damage it?

The plumbing was originally done for a pump with a side port in. I twisted the shutoff valve at the angle it is now, to get the pump closer to the filter.

What would you do?

Leaving the valve in an in-between setting for a short while won't cause any damage. The water might well be left over from that. If the backwash port continues to leak you should open up the multi-port valve and check/replace the spider gasket.

If the cracked return fitting is leaking, it needs to be replaced. If it isn't leaking, you can leave it that way till it gets worse.

You can replace the flexible hose with rigid PVC if you want, but there is nothing really wrong with flexible, even when it sags a bit as yours has done.

Thanks, that's good about the sagging. I think for this year it'll have to do. Filter pressure is 13 steady. I haven't backwashed.

I still have the cover on and I haven't gotten my test kit. So I'm not running it full time yet.

I'll monitor the drips/leaks. I think a couple spots didn't get tightened enough or enough Teflon tape.

Well, my pump is running tonight. For a few hours at least. I wanted to only run it when I could watch it, in case something went on it.

Still running good.

I added a jug of cheap bleach at the return side of the pool, after test strips said 0 FC. (I have a good test kit on the way.)
An hour later, at the other end of the pool, the strips said 1FC!!! My water is circulating!

Friday I should have the test kit, and I'll finalize the chemistry.

I let my pump go overnight with the timer shutting it off around 10 and turning it back on around 5. (Not running 24/7 since I haven't really started the chemistry.)

I checked this morning, and the pump was running like a champ with no bubbles! Still drips from the returns, but not a lot of loss.

Judging by the Algae on my cover I'm gonna need to be vigilant with my chemistry. This AM I checked with the strips (I know, not very accurate) and got 2TC and 0FC... Hmmm...

I added the bleach at the return side of the pool, and I check from the skimmer side of the pool. At the skimmer I could smell a faint smell of chlorine, so I'm happy to see that the circulation is good. (The return doesn't have the eyelet in yet.) I'll wait for my kit and switch my chemistry concerns over to the chemistry forum if it gets nasty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.