Pump makes clicking noise

May 15, 2010
I have a 2nd hand (third?) above ground pool that I got from a friend. I have had it for a couple of years now with no problems. I live in Maine and close the pool every winter. I bring the pump and filter inside. I went to open the pool up for the spring and now have a problem with the pump. I have a two speed pump. The low speed works fine but the high speed doesn't work. When I turn the pump on to high, it makes a clicking noise.

The pump is a Proline
1.5 HP
model SD-15-1A1100

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does it rotate at all on high?

I can't find a lot about that pump on the web.

It sounds like it could be a capacitor or the start switch. I'd suggest taking it to an electric motor shop to have it diagnosed if you're not familiar with doing that.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the motor is turning when the switch is on high although it is turning slower than when it is on low. The clicking sound is similar to the sound when the motor starts on low. It is a consistent click...click...click sound.

Ok, so I replaced the capacitor today and it has not solved the problem. You suggested that it may be the start switch. Should I check that next or is there something else that you would suggest?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.