Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump makes clicking noise

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump makes clicking noise

I have a 2nd hand (third?) above ground pool that I got from a friend. I have had it for a couple of years now with no problems. I live in Maine and close the pool every winter. I bring the pump and filter inside. I went to open the pool up for the spring and now have a problem with the pump. I have a two speed pump. The low speed works fine but the high speed doesn't work. When I turn the pump on to high, it makes a clicking noise.

The pump is a Proline
    1.5 HP
    model SD-15-1A1100

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump makes clicking noise

Does it rotate at all on high?

I can't find a lot about that pump on the web.

It sounds like it could be a capacitor or the start switch. I'd suggest taking it to an electric motor shop to have it diagnosed if you're not familiar with doing that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the motor is turning when the switch is on high although it is turning slower than when it is on low. The clicking sound is similar to the sound when the motor starts on low. It is a consistent click...click...click sound.

4. Back To Top    #4

That sounds like the capacitor alright. You can replace it if you're handy. If you're not comfortable doing it any electric motor shop can do it for you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I thought it may be the capacitor after reading many other forum posts. I am pretty handy and plan to replace it myself. Any suggestions as to where I can pick one up?

6. Back To Top    #6

Electric supply houses and HVAC places will have them or you could order one online. Just match the mfd value and voltage value.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, so I replaced the capacitor today and it has not solved the problem. You suggested that it may be the start switch. Should I check that next or is there something else that you would suggest?

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry about that. The start switch is where I'd check next but that's not something most consumers can replace. You can look at it and see if the contacts are burnt. Sometimes filing them works.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

May just be time for a new motor.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT