2 inch red inline valve leaking from top

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
Seriously think my equipment is falling apart! 3 problems at one time!

Third problem - I have 2 valves that I turn perpendicular to shut off water flow to the solar pump in the winter. Now that I have turned them on again:

One valve (has a plastic cap on the plastic valve) has water leaking from around cap - when I tamp it down with a rubber mallet the leaking decreases.

Is this a cap I pop off to tighten a stem underneath? Or does the cap itself need to be sealed in some way? O ring underneath? This valve is part of a glued pipe system so replacing it is a job I would not do myself.

Bob

Those valves suck! I know, as I'm about to replace two of mine with jandy neverlube-style valves.

Both of mine suck air in about the valve handle. Also, one of mine has broken the handle on the one side, so it has to be turned with a pipe wrench. If I were you, I'd definitely replace that with a real pool valve ASAP.

OK- Here's the beast.

Anybody willing to enable me?

I have done a lot of landscape irrigation pipe running and gluing, but don't know if the pipe and glue is pool specific? The pipe is 2.5 inches outside diameter and the current valve says 2 inch on its top.

Do I go for one of the Jandry never lube valves? Do I try to install fittings or just cut below elbows and redo this config? What happens later down the line if it needs re-do? Don't people run out of pipe just cutting and gluing?

What material list do I need? Do I order it online vs the top dollar our pool stores want for about everything? Shipping and handling eat the difference?

Bob
[attachment=0:16vnt95g]IMG_0940.JPG[/attachment:16vnt95g]

Bob, while I happen to like those valves, the problem is - once they go, you can't just fix them :(

If you have a decent plumbing store in your area, they ought have all you need to replace the valve (a Jandy Never-Lube would have to be bought at a pool store or on-line).

Because they plumbed your valve so close to a 90, you'll need to do a LITTLE extra plumbing to replace it - not a huge deal. If you can give me a pic from a a little further away, I can give you a list of what you'll need to pick up and how to make the change :cool:

Bumped up so hopefully Waste can see it.
Qs would be specific model of Jandy valve. Are these pipes the same as used in landscape irrigation (have to admit I've not checked for 2.5" irrigation pipe) or is home plumbing grade? What specific glue used. And do I glue or try to put serviceable threaded joints in on either side of new valve this time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And then any glue compatible with Schedule 40 PVC will do? Would you put a valve in with threads or glue if it was you?
Let's say I cut below the elbows and replumb and then 5 years from now that valve starts leaking, do I cut again and then raise it with connectors to get the height back?

Use glue, it makes a better connection. Also, use a valve that can be serviced and then you will never need to replace it.

Should you get into a situation where the pipe coming out of the pump was too short, you would unscrew the pipe from the pump and replace it. If the other end was too short, you would cut it off beyond the next fitting and replace slightly more pipe.

Bob, sorry for the delay :oops: I've been working to 7-ish all week (for some reason everyone wants their pool opened, now that we're getting 80+ degree days :cool: )

MITS and Jason are giving you GREAT advice! If you still want/ need my input, I'll be back tomorrow afternoon (after church and loosing 1/2 dozen golf balls into the :rant: water hazards :lol: )

aquaman said:
Bumped up so hopefully Waste can see it.
Qs would be specific model of Jandy valve. Are these pipes the same as used in landscape irrigation (have to admit I've not checked for 2.5" irrigation pipe) or is home plumbing grade? What specific glue used. And do I glue or try to put serviceable threaded joints in on either side of new valve this time?

Aquaman,
This is the valve that you would be looking for:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-way-2-21-2-Ne...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5c01fec7
Or something similar
MIke

Always followup Qs!

Should I glue pipe directly to valve or use a connector?

Other than careful transverse cutting with a hacksaw - is there a trick to straight cutting of pipe that is in place?

If PVC shards do into pipe it will just wind up in filter yes?

Bob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.