Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 inch red inline valve leaking from top

1. Back To Top    #1

2 inch red inline valve leaking from top

Seriously think my equipment is falling apart! 3 problems at one time!

Third problem - I have 2 valves that I turn perpendicular to shut off water flow to the solar pump in the winter. Now that I have turned them on again:

One valve (has a plastic cap on the plastic valve) has water leaking from around cap - when I tamp it down with a rubber mallet the leaking decreases.

Is this a cap I pop off to tighten a stem underneath? Or does the cap itself need to be sealed in some way? O ring underneath? This valve is part of a glued pipe system so replacing it is a job I would not do myself.

Bob
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob

23,000 gal in-ground, Aquarite salt sys, Intellitouch i7 +3, Hayward cartridge filter (4) C-5025, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner, 3/4 HP booster pump, Hydrazzo plaster.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 inch red inline valve leaking from top

I don't recognize which kind of valve that would be from your description. Could you post a picture?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason,

It is like the blue one here that I found in an internet picture.

Bob

[attachment=0:2fiul1tk]badbwvalvethumb[1].jpg[/attachment:2fiul1tk]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob

23,000 gal in-ground, Aquarite salt sys, Intellitouch i7 +3, Hayward cartridge filter (4) C-5025, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner, 3/4 HP booster pump, Hydrazzo plaster.

4. Back To Top    #4

Those valves suck! I know, as I'm about to replace two of mine with jandy neverlube-style valves.

Both of mine suck air in about the valve handle. Also, one of mine has broken the handle on the one side, so it has to be turned with a pipe wrench. If I were you, I'd definitely replace that with a real pool valve ASAP.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

5. Back To Top    #5

The great majority of the valves like that can't be serviced and simply need to be replaced when they fail.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

OK- Here's the beast.

Anybody willing to enable me?

I have done a lot of landscape irrigation pipe running and gluing, but don't know if the pipe and glue is pool specific? The pipe is 2.5 inches outside diameter and the current valve says 2 inch on its top.

Do I go for one of the Jandry never lube valves? Do I try to install fittings or just cut below elbows and redo this config? What happens later down the line if it needs re-do? Don't people run out of pipe just cutting and gluing?

What material list do I need? Do I order it online vs the top dollar our pool stores want for about everything? Shipping and handling eat the difference?

Bob
    [attachment=0:16vnt95g]IMG_0940.JPG[/attachment:16vnt95g]
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob

7. Back To Top    #7

Bob, while I happen to like those valves, the problem is - once they go, you can't just fix them

If you have a decent plumbing store in your area, they ought have all you need to replace the valve (a Jandy Never-Lube would have to be bought at a pool store or on-line).

Because they plumbed your valve so close to a 90, you'll need to do a LITTLE extra plumbing to replace it - not a huge deal. If you can give me a pic from a a little further away, I can give you a list of what you'll need to pick up and how to make the change
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Here are better pics -
    The vertical valve is also shut off when I close down solar so it will probably go next!
    [attachment=1:3ewufhi6]IMG_0947.jpg[/attachment:3ewufhi6]
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob

9. Back To Top    #9

Bumped up so hopefully Waste can see it.
    Qs would be specific model of Jandy valve. Are these pipes the same as used in landscape irrigation (have to admit I've not checked for 2.5" irrigation pipe) or is home plumbing grade? What specific glue used. And do I glue or try to put serviceable threaded joints in on either side of new valve this time?
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob

10. Back To Top    #10

It's 2" (inside diameter), and you should use Schedule 40 PVC. It looks like that's what you currently have, it's just painted gray. You could use threaded joints or unions.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

11. Back To Top    #11

And then any glue compatible with Schedule 40 PVC will do? Would you put a valve in with threads or glue if it was you?
    Let's say I cut below the elbows and replumb and then 5 years from now that valve starts leaking, do I cut again and then raise it with connectors to get the height back?
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob

12. Back To Top    #12

Use glue, it makes a better connection. Also, use a valve that can be serviced and then you will never need to replace it.

Should you get into a situation where the pipe coming out of the pump was too short, you would unscrew the pipe from the pump and replace it. If the other end was too short, you would cut it off beyond the next fitting and replace slightly more pipe.

13. Back To Top    #13

Bob, sorry for the delay I've been working to 7-ish all week (for some reason everyone wants their pool opened, now that we're getting 80+ degree days )

MITS and Jason are giving you GREAT advice! If you still want/ need my input, I'll be back tomorrow afternoon (after church and loosing 1/2 dozen golf balls into the water hazards )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman
    Bumped up so hopefully Waste can see it.
    Qs would be specific model of Jandy valve. Are these pipes the same as used in landscape irrigation (have to admit I've not checked for 2.5" irrigation pipe) or is home plumbing grade? What specific glue used. And do I glue or try to put serviceable threaded joints in on either side of new valve this time?
    Aquaman,
    This is the valve that you would be looking for:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-way-2-21-2-Nev...item1e5c01fec7
    Or something similar
    MIke
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

15. Back To Top    #15

Great! Thanks for making it so clear guys!

This will be fun!

Bob
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob

16. Back To Top    #16

Always followup Qs!

Should I glue pipe directly to valve or use a connector?

Other than careful transverse cutting with a hacksaw - is there a trick to straight cutting of pipe that is in place?

If PVC shards do into pipe it will just wind up in filter yes?

Bob
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob