opening green pool with BBB

melmommy said:
Thanks butterfly for the encouragement. I need it!
You're welcome :)

Just put in 3 more jugs of bleach and brushed the liner. Am I wasting all this bleach since I am not sure if I am at shock level?
Try to reach a shock level of 20 each time you add.
I have 3 more to put in later. I don't even want to add up how many I have put in! :) Very scary!

I checked the filter and I don't think I need to backwash. After we changed the sand, it read 10. If I understand right, it doesn't need backwashing until it is at least 8 higher than that number. It is reading 16.
I suggest you follow Jason's recommendation and backwash.

Checked the tracking # on the kit and it should be here tomorrow. Maybe there is hope for weekend swimming? We are all dying to get in! I guess we will clean the pool furniture today.
Alright, the kit will arrive tomorrow! Once you post your test results we can get the show on the road.
Please add the # of gallons of your pool in your sig. I believe we estimated 20,000. Folks will want to know this when they are trying to answer questions.

Cleaning the pool furniture in anticipation ..... :goodjob:

OK, backwashed and rinsed. It didn't change the pressure. I am wondering if my hubby had the right "first" reading after we changed the sand. When I turned the pump off to start backwashing, it still reads 5. When I turned it back on, it stayed on 10 for about 15 secs, then went to 16. Same as before I backwashed. Went ahead and added 3 more jugs. Hoping that Fed Ex will make a morning delivery, not evening! Added the gallons to my sig. Now it is just hurry up and wait. Thanks again for all the help! Trying to stay positive!

Pool furniture is clean and in place!! :lol: No fun sitting by a cloudy pool I can't get in though! :evil: Out of bleach so no additions tonight. Still smells strong and Walmart kit is at least a 5 or more (again, 5 is as high as it reads). The TF100 should be here tomorrow. I will go to town in the morning to get more bleach. Guessing I will be testing every hour for FC when the kit gets here. Is there hope for swimming at all this weekend? :?:
Thanks for all your help! So glad I am not alone! :)mel

When you get your kit and post your test #'s we'll have a better idea of what it will take to clear your pool.

But the key to clearing your pool is chlorine and plenty of it! Do yourself a favor and buy plenty of bleach tomorrow.
Running out in the middle of a shock, like right now, is not a good thing.

For posting pics, many of us use PhotoBucket.Com. It's free and easy :)

After you upload your pics, copy/paste the the IMG code inside your post and the pic appears.

Ok, here are pics of the cloudy mess! It isn't fancy, but we enjoy it!
Our sanctuary in the sticks!
poolpics004.jpg

Notice the clean pool furniture!
poolpics001.jpg

I can see the first step!
poolpics002.jpg

Where is the bottom?
poolpics003.jpg

Ignore the yellow tractor.
poolpics005.jpg

Hope they show up! Wasn't sure about the size, tried to make them smaller. Hoping it worked! Have a happy Friday! Check in later to see how my numbers are looking. Test kit should be here this afternoon! :)

It's here!!!!!!! We just finished testing and we were way off on the FC. Here are the results. Drumroll please...
FC 2.5
CC 0.0
TC 2.5
pH 7.4
TA 130
CH 160
CYA 40
I typed it all in the pool calculator at 22,000 gallons and a shock level of 16 (based on cya chart and our level of 40). That told us to add 616 oz of bleach. Wow!! Hubby is adding it right now. We plan to recheck in an hour, put it in the calculator, and keep shocking. Am I on the right track? I hope so! Please chime in and give any advice!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
melmommy said:
It's here!!!!!!! We just finished testing and we were way off on the FC. Here are the results. Drumroll please...
FC 2.5
CC 0.0
TC 2.5
pH 7.4
TA 130
CH 160
CYA 40
I typed it all in the pool calculator at 22,000 gallons and a shock level of 16 (based on cya chart and our level of 40). That told us to add 616 oz of bleach. Wow!! Hubby is adding it right now. We plan to recheck in an hour, put it in the calculator, and keep shocking. Am I on the right track? I hope so! Please chime in and give any advice!
:goodjob: Very good!

Good evening pool friends! I have been testing the FC nearly every hour and adjusting the chlorine added each time to keep shock level at 16. Here are the numbers~
1:30 FC was 2.5
2:30 FC was 17
3:30 FC was 11.5
4:30 FC was 15.5
5:30 FC was 15
8:00 FC was 13

I will test again at 9:30, probably for the last time tonight. I may try to set alarm for late tonight to get another dose in there. :sleep: This shocking process is a full time job! The water is still cloudy. I do see some changes, especially in the upper corners of the deep end. The filter is still reading the same so I don't think I need to backwash. Hopefully these numbers are pretty normal and I am getting closer to clear water!? I must say your website and the pool calculator have been amazing. Not to mention the TF100! I am feeling like a pretty smart Kindergarten teacher! I definately feel like I am in control and not my pool store. Cheers to you TFP! :cheers:

Last test before bed was at 9:30 and FC was at 16 (my target). Yeah! :-D At 10 we poured 1 jug in and went to bed. I should have stayed up!! I tested at 7:15 this morning and the FC was 8.5. Boo! :( Bummer. I know I am supposed to have POP but could you explain it to 5 children under the age of 10 (3 belong to my sister)??? They came in from MS loaded with pool toys! My plan is to test every hour, adjust bleach additions, and brush. Is there something else I am missing? Am I doing it wrong? I am a Southern Baptist, but is there a Patron Saint for swimming pool water? :wink: I need all the help I can get!

Butterfly, I followed your advice and raised shock level to 20. It is working great! Water is clear!!! Thanks for the pearl of wisdom! When we got up this morning, I can see the drain in the deep end!! I would like ya'll to look at my FC numbers for the last day.
These FC numbers are for yesterday and last night and this morning.
4:45 19
6:00 17
9:15 21
10:15 19.5
2:20 am 18.5
8:00 am 17.5
10:00 am 16

After 10:00 this morning test, we added more bleach (for 20 shock level), and backwashed (very dirty water came out). My biggest question is when can we swim?? I know we really need an overnight loss of 1 or less to be completely sure, but is there any way to swim this evening? I don't want to lose our progress and rush it too much. I don't even know how fast I could get to my target FC. We retested the CYA this morning and it is between 40 and 50, so my target FC should be at 5 or 6. Thanks for all of your help and advice. I know I finally see clear water because of your help. My children thank you too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.