Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to prevent calcium build up

1. Back To Top    #1

How to prevent calcium build up

My pool has been running for about 6 weeks now and I have begun to get some major calcium build up near the spill over. We have hard water in the area and my CH is about 300. What can I do to prevent? I hit it with acid about 7 days ago and its came back.http://lh4.ggpht.com/_en6EMqEt-eQ/S-...8/IMG_0133.JPG

I have provided a link to the picasa image of the build up.

Thanks in advance
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to prevent calcium build up

If you post a full set of test results we can see what might be worth adjusting. CH 300 doesn't sound especially out of line, unless you mean that's your fill water!
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The pic is too small to make anything out but another larger one would be helpful.

Agreeing with Paul, a full set of test results will really help us get a good picture of your water and help us see what, if any, needs changed.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Test results-

FC-4
    CC-0
    Ph 7.5
    TA 110
    Ch 300- that is my fill water
    CYA-75
    Salt -3450

My My pre fill test was about 300. Have not seen any adjustment up or down in CH since the fill but we have very hard H20.

My fill TA is real high but has adjusted well since my addition of PH.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't see those numbers indicating calcium scaling, especially if you keep the pH right there. The pic looks like it's appearing on the grout, making me think it's efflorescence rather than scaling. Not a problem I've had to deal with so I'm not sure what you should do about it.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

It is only on the grout. I keep on top of my PH as I have a SWC. Im still getting the feel for it. My PH has actually been kept a little too low. 7.2-7.4. Im still earning on the fly. Less acid more often.

7. Back To Top    #7

There is always going to be some calcium and some salt deposited on surfaces where there is evaporation happening, like a spillway. You can minimize this two ways, by increasing the flow rate across the spillway a little (if it is fairly low to begin with) or by lowering the calcium saturation index (CSI) (which will encourage any deposits to redissolve), but there will always be some deposits.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School