How to change grids on Anthony Pools Apollo VA-52 DE Filter?

May 15, 2010
I want to change the grids on my filter, but I cannot get the grids apart.
http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_filter_anthony.htm

Basically, I cannot get #16 (brass nut) or #8 (end bell) off of the shaft, #9. How is this supposed to come apart? #16 (brass nut) will not turn on the shaft, even after using WD40. The black plastic part of #8 (end bell) can be rotated (I got the set screw out easily), but it will not slide in or out on the shaft. Is the end bell supposed to come off? Is there an owners manual for this filter anyplace (the pool/filter came with the house).

Thanks.

Hi,
We have the same setup. It surprised me when taking it apart (it DID come apart -- whew!) that #16 (brass nut) turned out not to be a simple hex nut but a threaded sleeve kind of deal. On the parts list it's an "insert nut" perhaps 1.5 to 2 inches long. http://www.poolplaza.com/P-VAL-051-9740-AA.html [here is a link to an image, don't know the vendor, just grabbing the image]. Number 9 is a long metallic rod with threads on the end closest to the "bell" and the rod screws into the insert nut kind of like a light bulb screws into a socket. IIRC the stuff like #7 and #8 cannot be separated from the rod.

This info may not be a huge help, but maybe it will help somehow and at least you'd know where to put the Liquid Wrench if you wanted to use something like that.

Best wishes,
Steve C.

PS -- an afterthought -- you asked about an owner's manual and mentioned that the pool came with your house. If you're like us and never had to take care of a pool before, just in case you havent' seen it there IS a book from Leslie's pool supply that's like a general pool maintenance manual. Not specific to the Apollo VA-52 but it's been pretty good, enough to help me get through. They had the book, called "Clear Answers, Clear Solutions", in stock at our local brick-and-mortar Leslie's but, curiously, it doesn't seem to be publicized. I haven't even been able to find it on the Leslie's web site but here's a link

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 00/I/20575

Once again, best of luck and best wishes! -- Steve

Thanks Steve! So it sounds like I need to put the set screw back into the bell end, then focus on getting the #16 brass nut loose. I had already destroyed two of the grids to give me some slack on the rod, so I could see that the nut was much more than a simple nut. I have heard good things about "PB Blaster", so maybe I will get some and try that. Or maybe after sitting overnight WD40 has done some loosening for me.

Got it! Since I now wasn't worried about mangling the shaft of the rod outside of the bell end, I grabbed that hard with the vice grips, added some more WD40 to the #16 brass nut and with the wife's help, was able to get enough torque to loosen the #16 brass nut. Now on to ordering my new grids! Thanks a lot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.