Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Irrigated lot?

1. Back To Top    #1

Irrigated lot?

After browsing through Julie’s pool build I was intrigued by the concept of an irrigated lot. Where I’m originally from (Miami) an irrigated lot would be called storm surge, here in Atlanta, it would be a flash flood. The concept was quite foreign to me; there is a blurb in the link below if you are so inclined as I was. Interesting.

http://phoenix.about.com/od/desertplant ... gation.htm

Without an option for flooding your yard, I suspect sprinkling city water would be the only other option?
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Hi Crabboy -

That is cool, I couldn't find much on flood irrigation when we were doing our research to buy the lot. Talked with the farmers in the area to get the real scoop on the process. This was old farm land and the irrigation rights conveyed with the property.
    If we did not have the opportunity to flood irrigate our yard we would not have all the grass and opted for a more natural desert look to the yard. The water is fairly inexpensive compared to the alternative of watering through the municiple drinking water system. I only irrigate the rear of my property, the front is all in desert plants and rock. We usually take 2-2.5 hours of water that pretty much covers 1/3 of our acre 12" deep. The water provides a great soak for the plants every two weeks. The only downside is that the system is manual, we rotate the schedule across the 50 acre lots in our community. Basically, I can be placed on the list to open my valve at 7am on Saturday or 3am on Sunday...just varies each week. It really gives the yeard a nice lush cool desert oasis feel.
    1980's Shasta built 30,000 gal inground diving pool. Pebble-tec interior. Pentair DE Filter. In ground pop-ups. Hayward Navigator sweeper.

3. Back To Top    #3

That's pretty cool. What would stop you from burying a 2000 gallon tank in the irrigated section and draw from it to sprinkle the front lawn?
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

4. Back To Top    #4
    I don't think anything would stop someone from doing that, but I only want to mow the back yard and keep the front very low maintenance
    1980's Shasta built 30,000 gal inground diving pool. Pebble-tec interior. Pentair DE Filter. In ground pop-ups. Hayward Navigator sweeper.