Need help with part ID for Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter.

May 26, 2007
Hi All,
I developed a leak at the main drain of my filter and am having a hard time finding the correct one online. My particular filter has a cap style drain (threads on the inside) whereas pool plaza shows the part as a plug (threads on the outside). Any ideas? Could I just use some Permatex #2 to seal it or should I get a new cap and Oring?
Thanks,
JOE

Thanks! Its been a while- a long winter :( There is an O-ring in there but it doesn't seal any longer. I tried teflon tape but it doesn't work well. I always found the permatex #2 to work much better. I just don't really want to gum up the threads but I guess it shouldn;t really matter. The #2 should clean up well with acetone I guess if I had to clean it for some reason.

Clean threads are a must. Getting all the old DE and Teflon out will make life much easier.

I use a toothbrush with the handle broken off to clean the threads before threading the drain cap. I then apply a turns of Teflon tape. The thread size is 1-1/2" NPT (National Pipe Thread). A Hayward 1022C pipe plug fits but can be a bit a PITA to get tight or loosen when used instead of the Pentair version.

I don't recommend the use of any other sealant other than Teflon tape for this application.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.