New 27' pool - where to start?

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
Topic Split off by Moderator
Okay- I'm following this post as I also just wrapped up my pool install last night- same size.

I had my water tested- it shows
Free Chlorine- 0.0
Total Alk- 170
PH- 7.4
CYA- 10

Based on the pool calculator- I would add 36 oz of bleach and 60 oz of solid stabilizer to begin a "TroubleFree Pool"
Is that right?

Well, what size gallons did you put in the pool calc? What were your targets?
I'm not getting the same result as you but that could be because of the different results you may have entered.

You want enough bleach to reach 2ppm each evening, until the CYA holds.
This is a new fill, right, so how could there be CYA of 10?

Do you have your own test kit yet?

In my calculations- I used 16177 gallons- that's what the manufacturers web site says. However- I calculated 17133 using my own formula.

Okay- if I understand the pool calculator- to achieve a target FC of 2ppm- I would add 34 oz of bleach- yes?

I do have a test kit- just haven't found it yet from the move- my readings were from a pool store- so the readings hopefully were accurate.

This was a new fill.

Any concern over the alkilinity?

Lets say 17,000 - good enough for now.

Alk is high, but that's nothing to be concerned with - high TA simply means the ph will drift up. So when it does, lower it. :) Each time the PH hits 7.8, lower it down to 7.2 with muratic acid. The pool calc will tell you how much acid to add. The acid additions will also lower the TA, eventually both will be in range.

For chlorine - Add one small jug of bleach 6% each evening until the CYA is dissolved.

For CYA , start with 4 lbs. Place 2 lbs in a sock at a time - and tie a knot in it, then tie it with string in front of the return. IT will dissolve from the sock - then you can retest for it in 5-7 days. Once the 4 lbs of CYA has dissolved from the sock, assume your level is 30 and adjust your FC levels accordingly - start targeting 4 ppm each evening to keep your FC above the "min" of 2 at all times.

Hope this helps, post back if you need clarification. :)

just checking (I know this is a basic question...sorry :oops: ) but is your pump running while adding the bleach and are you waiting 30 minutes before taking a sample to ensure the bleach has mixed thouroghly with your water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.