Pool Design and Deck Help

Apr 29, 2010
Hello Everyone. After 2 years of toying with the idea of putting in a pool it is finally time. I have received quotes from several pool builders and have finally found one who I am comfortable with using. We are still in the contract and design phase and I while I like the general shape of the pool, the paver deck he designed is not working :( . I intend to keep 5ft-5.5ft gardens both in front of my screened in patio, deck and stairs. We have about 37 ft of width area from the house (near the stairs)to the edge of the fence (faint line) that most likely needs to be used (aka room for garden, pool and paver decking). Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to change the paver decking shape and/or pool so I do not end up having a paver backyard? Also, is 1,200 sq ft of paver deck a lot for this size pool? We also have a 20x10 screened in room where are large outside dining area is. The paver deck will be for lounge chairs and other seating. Pictures are attached.
Thanks!
Andrea

Attachments

• Pool 1.jpg
    Pool 1.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 185
Everybody uses their yard/pool in different ways, but if it were me...

I'd pull the pool in closer to the house - let the paver deck touch the screened patio area, setting a paver boundary for the landscape area. This allows for space at the back, which I'm guessing is what you want.

I would add to the left side deck and take away from the right - maybe your activities are split into kids & parents, but my family/friends all tend to stay in one area and two seating areas would be better used if all together. Especially if there are little ones - I presume they would be on the shallow end, and I can't see the average parent maintaining calm from across the pool.

Around the back and right side I'd probably only set pavers out to about 4 feet away from the pool. Plenty of space to walk around, do pool work, etc. - yet still give you the green space you want.

Don't be afraid to mark up their plans - make multiple copies and try several alternative layouts - it's in their best interest to have you be a happy customer. Be sure to also let them know it's OK to tell you your idea is stupid, or against code, or whatever when your redlines violate some principle of good pool design and/or local code.

Thank you so much for your ideas. I agree with the left side area as the everyone will flock to area. I have an 8yr old stepdaughter and a little one on the way.
As far as the pavers to the screened in area, my fault I forgot to mention this, the deck and screened in patio are at the same height which is roughly 7-8ft above ground level where the pool will be. That was part of the reason I wanted to leave in the gardens/shrubs (errr more like replace the lovely builder grade dying plants) in front of the deck, side of the stairs and screened in area. The solid brick wall of the screened in area is where the pavers would meet up to if I did not do a garden, I was trying to hide it with large plants.
See pictures attached. May the ugly backyard below no longer exist in a couple months, fingers crossed.

Attachments

• backyard1.jpg
    backyard1.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Backyard2.jpg
    Backyard2.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Backyard3.jpg
    Backyard3.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 180
When I design decks I think of the living space in a house. You have rooms (sitting areas) and you have hallways (walking areas). I try to keep one side of the pool natural for a nice backdrop. Decking completely around the pool starts to look "hard" and comercial to me. I also like to add planters in close to for accents. Pay attention to where the sun is at the times of the day when you will be using the pool and place accordingly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.