Wow I just did my first test and my free chlorine was 26 :shock: I was going to let my kids swim today after I vacuumed and tested but.... I will finish my signature tonight. I have only shocked once when I opened 2 weeks ago. I have kept a tablet in the skimmer basket since then which has obviously been too much... Wow I still can't believe it's that high

Your first test?

Had water been circulating for a while before testing?

Do you have all your test numbers to post?

For FAS/DPD, did you fill to 10ml and multiply drops by 0.5?

Just checking, cuz I can tell you that we ( :oops: I ) have all been known to make a testing error or two :p

whoozer said:
How much did you put in when you shocked, I surprised it has held for 2 weeks.

This was before I found this place I used 3 bags Fresh 'N Clear from leslies

It states
Active ingredient:
Potassium Peroxymonosulfate..38%
Other Ingredients..................62%
Total..................................100%
...................Available oxygen-4%

Butterfly said:
Your first test?

Had water been circulating for a while before testing?

Do you have all your test numbers to post?

For FAS/DPD, did you fill to 10ml and multiply drops by 0.5?

Just checking, cuz I can tell you that we ( :oops: I ) have all been known to make a testing error or two :p

Water circulating 24/7 since opening

I am going to update my signature now sorry guys its been a wild week

I am using 3" trichlor in the skimmer basket, I have just been making sure to keep one in. I think they have been disolving too quickly and me keeping one in has overdosed. Lesson learned with new product I wasn't used to.

Test results
chl- off chart high
ph-7.2
fc-25
cc-0
ta-couldn't do but adjusted last week with local pool store test results and added alkalinity

The crucial question is what is your CYA level. I suspect that CYA is going to be extremely high and will need to be lowered, which would explain what has been happening.

I'm also a little worried about what your PH actually is. The PH test result is invalid when FC is that high, so it could be just about anything.

You should stop adding any chlorine to the pool for a little while and get a CYA level test result.

JasonLion said:
The crucial question is what is your CYA level. I suspect that CYA is going to be extremely high and will need to be lowered, which would explain what has been happening.

I'm also a little worried about what your PH actually is. The PH test result is invalid when FC is that high, so it could be just about anything.

You should stop adding any chlorine to the pool for a little while and get a CYA level test result.

I have stopped adding chlorine and was unable to do either the TA or CYA because of some problems with my kit but that will be taken care of, and I will hopefully get on track first of next week.

I would have taken a sample to my local pool store today but too many things going on.

I ordered the TF100. there was a missing bottle of 9 and had an extra bottle of 8 but communication was great I had a return email within minutes and Im sure my package will get to me asap. there was also a "label" missing on the bottle with the red cap for the CYA test. This kit is nice though and I can't wait to start learning how this stuff works :-D

As a worker in a small business I understand how things are, and I have no problem with an occasional mix-up. I have been on the other end and it is nice when your customer is patient. :goodjob:

If I am not mistaken the TF100 kits come from the owners of this site and the resource that this site offers is AWESOME. :whoot:

When you count the number of drops from R0871, did you divide them by 2? Could your results be 13 not 26?

It just seems odd that your chlorine would be that high from just tablets. I've been using tablets for the last two months and my FC never goes above 4-5. Were you also adding liquid?

You can do the CYA test - just use a medicine cup - or medicine dropper - fill 7 ml of each - pool water and CYA reagent r-0013 and put them in the little mixing bottle with the red cap. shake it to mix, wait 30 seconds and then shake it again and pour it into the view tube.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is against forum rules to do "customer service" here, but I need to say jeepdad is absolutely correct.....we shipped him a kit that was nowhere near correct. We really dropped the ball. Jeepdad, your corrected items will be sent Next Day Express mail on Monday.

Meanwhile, the CYA test is important to your issues so see if you can do this......take about a 1/2 ounce of pool water(doesn't have to be precise) and then mix it with precisely the same amount of R-0013 Reagent. Shake it and let it set for about 30 seconds and that will give you what you need to put in the CYA view tube to get your correct CYA test posted. Any questions, just post back and I or others will help you get this test done until you get your corrected stuff.

jeepdad said:
I ordered the TF100. there was a missing bottle of 9 and had an extra bottle of 8 but communication was great I had a return email within minutes and Im sure my package will get to me asap. there was also a "label" missing on the bottle with the red cap for the CYA test. This kit is nice though and I can't wait to start learning how this stuff works :-D

As a worker in a small business I understand how things are, and I have no problem with an occasional mix-up. I have been on the other end and it is nice when your customer is patient. :goodjob:

If I am not mistaken the TF100 kits come from the owners of this site and the resource that this site offers is AWESOME. :whoot:
Oh my, you probably don't know about the elves that Dave has working in his barn....they probably filled your test kit! :shock:

Dave said sometimes they get all liquored up and, and, well - see what happened to your kit?! :mrgreen:

Yes, you are correct. Dave Smith a/k/a duraleigh owns both TroubleFreePool.com and TFTestKits.net.

We agree, this site is AWESOME! :whoot:

Good you are at shock level :)
It's safe to swim up to shock level - so the kiddies can swim tomorrow if you like...

So I have a question - and this could explain a lot... when you opened, did you test before adding, to see if you needed to shock? If there was FC left from the winter? Shocking at spring opening is not required. I haven't shocked at opening for three years, haven't needed to.

When I opened, I had a FC residual of 4-5. I didn't need to shock. So I could see if you've been using tabs but there has been little demand - why the FC is hanging on...KWIM?

I am realizing more and more how much I've been missing. I did not test when I opened :oops: , I will from now on, I have been relying way too much on the occasional sample to the pool store. and paying too much for the stuff I need. (This will be our third full summer)

No more

I will go cover to keep temp. up overnight and let the kids swim tomorrow.

Thanks for all the support I am a happy pool owner

Did I say I'm glad I found this place :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.