DE in the pool...

May 15, 2010
I've got an in-ground pool with a problem that has recently started. I noticed DE on the bottom of the pool.

I have already disassembled my filter (Pentair 2000 series), and cleaned off all of the grid (less than 6 months old). There are no holes to be found.

I did a little research and have discovered something interesting. When running, my filter operates properly and DE does not come out. However, when I turn the pump off, I've noticed the inspection window of the pump and the skimmer area begin to get cloudy with DE-infused water. Then, when I restart the pump, a burst of DE comes out. I've had a pinhole leak in my filter output pipe for a little while but this DE problem has started in the last week. The only other thing I've noticed is a sucking sound coming from the bottom of my filter where the integrated backwash valve is.

I've read some of the other threads but I was hoping for a more technical explanation so I can order the right parts and only disassemble my filter / valve once to fix this.

Welcome to TFP!

This could be as simple as air stuck in the filter. Have you let all the air out of the filter? It could also be caused by a leak somewhere in the pipes after the filter. This would show up as water spraying out, possibly fairly slowly while the pump was on, and then letting air in when the pump is off that allows the water in the filter to flow back towards the multi-port valve.

Bump....
Did you find the problem? I am experiencing it right now. Somehow dumped a full charge from an FNS 60 right into the pool, what a mess. I belive the minor problem came from my polaris boost pump seal leaking, however somehow during a filter check all the water drained from the filter and came out the supplies. I just about cried, I couldn't see my black pearl pebble, heck I couldn't see my sundeck any more.
Let the pumps run all night and it was somewhat better this morning, we'll see.

Question, could my multi port valve have allowed the problem of flowing through the supply? I don't know what would have let the de in past the filters with the pump off. I was raining the filter with the valve in the closed position. When I had it apart I filled the supply riser with clean water (after cleaning the inside of the filter) and it drained through the pump discharge into the filter housing (lower pipe) with the valve in closed.

I am going to get my seal kit for the boost tommorrow and rebuild but in the meatime I'm afraid to turn the pump off.

Also as a side note I am having a bear of a time keeping my PH down, Then I noticed the bubbles through the supplies when the pump started and figured that the additional "arriation" was causing it. It is a 3 yr old pebble tech, gunite pool.

Any suggestions?....................

lookin at fourty said:
Bump....
Did you find the problem? I am experiencing it right now. Somehow dumped a full charge from an FNS 60 right into the pool, what a mess. I belive the minor problem came from my polaris boost pump seal leaking, however somehow during a filter check all the water drained from the filter and came out the supplies. I just about cried, I couldn't see my black pearl pebble, heck I couldn't see my sundeck any more.
Let the pumps run all night and it was somewhat better this morning, we'll see.

Question, could my multi port valve have allowed the problem of flowing through the supply? I don't know what would have let the de in past the filters with the pump off. I was raining the filter with the valve in the closed position. When I had it apart I filled the supply riser with clean water (after cleaning the inside of the filter) and it drained through the pump discharge into the filter housing (lower pipe) with the valve in closed.

I am going to get my seal kit for the boost tommorrow and rebuild but in the meatime I'm afraid to turn the pump off.

Also as a side note I am having a bear of a time keeping my PH down, Then I noticed the bubbles through the supplies when the pump started and figured that the additional "arriation" was causing it. It is a 3 yr old pebble tech, gunite pool.

Any suggestions?....................

Ya old pirate - welcome to TFP!! (you're not the only parrothead here :goodjob: )

Do you have a SWCG? If not, I'd suspect a leak on the return side (after the pump) OR a spider/ wagon wheel gasket issue. As said, it's easy to check and easy to replace :)

We'll be here to help, just let us know more about what you discover.

I got a leak on the polaris boost pump shaft seal. Parts will be here tomorrow. I let the pumps run all night and all day today, and I got to tell you, the thing looks great. Last night was literally the end of the world, it was a milkshake. I just looked at the pool after having the pumps off a few hours and no de leaking in yet, there is a "slight" cloudiness in the pool pump strainer window. I could here the seal on the shaft leaking. I believe that the seal will eliminate the off cycle drain and hopefully eliminate the ariation on start up. PH Is down to 7.8 and I'm gonna work on it a bit tomorrow, Lowes was out of acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.