Opening up "flow"handles - low pressure

May 10, 2010
Hello:

I have checked everything I possibly know to determine why the pressure on the jets has gone down. I am 99% sure its nothing to do with the filter because the pressure stays low even when bypassing the filter. Its a brand new pump working fine - no blockage there or in skimmer. The only thing I have not done is open up the "flow handle mechanisms (see photos attached) to see if there's a blockage in there. I'm reluctant to do that because I can just imagine some spring bouncing out of there or something - Is it ok to unscrew the tops of these units and look inside for bloackage?

Thanks in Advance
Tim

Attachments

• flow_handle1.jpg
    flow_handle1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 74
  • flow_handle2.jpg
    flow_handle2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 74
Sure, you can open up the valves and check them if you need to. It takes a bit of work, but isn't all that difficult. That isn't the first place I would check, however. Make sure that the pump strainer basket is full of water. A lot of air in the pump strainer basket could cause that exact problem. Second, is there anything on the suction side of the pump that could be blocking the flow, any valves that let you pick between skimmer and drain that are off by accident, or anything like that? Another possibility at this time of year would be a winterizing plug left in the skimmer by accident.

is there anything on the suction side of the pump that could be blocking the flow, any valves that let you pick between skimmer and drain that are off by accident, or anything like that?

I don't think so, this problem occurred during vaccuming, so I'm wondering if I vacuumed up something that's clogging the flow somewhere... I had the pump filter basket in place but not the skimmer basket... That may have not been a good idea?

A lot of air in the pump strainer basket could cause that exact problem.

There is some air bubbles at the top, but not much, however I have noticed that when I prime the pump & open up the filter guage to let air out, it never seems to get all the air out... is that unusual or a problem?

Thanks for your help by the way

any valves that let you pick between skimmer and drain that are off by accident, or anything like that

The only valve that lets me pick between skimmer and drain is the one attached and its in the middle now which I think is the right place to have both skimmer and bottom drain open... but I'll play with that and see if I'm wrong

Attachments

• flow_handle1.jpg
    flow_handle1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 64
If the handle is installed correctly, that valve is open to all three pipes, which should mean draw from both drain and skimmer.

If you were vacuuming, it is possible for debris to have gotten caught in several places. Take a look under the pump stainer basket and see if there is anything you can remove there.

One way to clear out the pipes is to get something called a drain king (or make something similar by wrapping a rag around the end of a garden hose) and try flushing out the pipes from the inlet pipe inside the pump back towards the skimmer and drain. When doing this, you should turn the drain/skimmer valve to skimmer only.

You say this happened after vacuuming, what sort of debris was it? You may have been sucking up pine needles or those :rant: pollen chains which can, and will, bypass the skimmer and pump baskets and clog the impeller.

If you need any help on checking the impeller, let us know, and please tell us what kind of pump it is :cool:

You say this happened after vacuuming, what sort of debris was it? You may have been sucking up pine needles or those :rant: pollen chains which can, and will, bypass the skimmer and pump baskets and clog the impeller.

thanks for the suggestion - this is a bit of a unique situation.... We had an old pump that I used during the pool opening... During vaccuming for the opening, the pressure went down... that pump was the original (10 years old) and making all kinds of noise, so I bit the bullet and got a new Pentair Whisperflo, thinking that would correct the problem - so the clogging of the empellor would have impacted the old pump, not the new

Well, the problem persists - :( :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would also open the air bleed on the filter. My system will push water out faster than it can suck it in when it's 100% to the vacuum. I usually have to let the air out when I'm done. Then pressures normalize and the pump sounds normal again.

Not sure I'm following you here, I open the air bleed when I prime the pump - but if I were to leave it open, water would just continue to gush out

treebeard056 said:
I would also open the air bleed on the filter. My system will push water out faster than it can suck it in when it's 100% to the vacuum. I usually have to let the air out when I'm done. Then pressures normalize and the pump sounds normal again.

Not sure I'm following you here, I open the air bleed when I prime the pump - but if I were to leave it open, water would just continue to gush out
Same operation, just crack it a bit to be sure there's no air trapped inside.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.