Pool repainting project

May 6, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Hi all. Hope y'all had a good winter and are back working on your pools.

I just took my cover off. Have to drain and pressure wash to see how badly the paint has deteriorated. Rubbing my hand on the side and it comes out dripping WHITE. Gonna pump it out the shallow end and then pressure wash and that should give me an indication of whether I have to drain completely and re-paint.I HAT THIS PART OF SPRING. :grrrr: :grrrr:

Just before closing
IMG_1717.jpg

NOW!!

IMG_1592.jpg

Re: The joy of pool opening

Yes Joyce that looks good as a result of all the help you guys gave me last year. I just pressure washed a test patch and the scum is coming off along with some milky white solution. On the second pass with the p washer all is clean?? I can't tell if it's the paint or just residue from all the Crud I have dumped in over the years as recommended by the pool shop "pro's". Maybe others can jump in with some opinions or suggestions as to how I can determine if it needs re-painting. Acid wash??

Re: The joy of pool opening

Starting into day 3 of refurbishing. Drained and pressure washed and getting ready to paint. Some areas that were water blasted with a 4000PSI washer are left bare, down to aggregate. Does anyone know if I should prime those bare spots before application of the full coat?
IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

I am by no means knowledgeable in pool paint systems, However I would remove all the old paint out of concern the new paint would not bond. As far as a primer I would talk to the manufacturer directly and speak to a paint rep.they will help you determine what should be done. I have to say I am facing the same issue with my pool and am really thinking of going with pebble sheen instead .

Thanks coloeb. I have spoken to the manufacturer and got some pointers. For the most part the painting I did in 2005 has held up and the current problem was caused by a poorly prepped surface before paint application and i have to be honest and agree. In 2005 the pool was completely sandblasted but I missed a step before re-painting. It should have been acid washed or some other chemical wash and rinsed after blasting but was not.They tell me, after seeing the pics, that I should run a sander/grinder over the complete surface to remove all other loose paint and rough spots/small blisters, acid wash and rinse. They have told me it's not necessary to prime, just be sure any shiny spots are removed and coat the bald spots first. Wait 4-6 days for curing and fill. Sooo, to use an old expression it's "back to the grind" today.

Cheers

I'm not so sure ANY of this thread would apply to your pool after reading your sig .It appears you have an 18' x 33' above ground vinyl pool. Others may chime in with better advise/reply than I can offer.I'm following the procedure outlined by the paint manufacturer as it applies to refurbishing a CONCRETE pool. Cheers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rcar430 said:
We are in the same situation. What kind of paint and acid are you using? We were told to use muriatic acid, but not sure about paint. Any suggestions?
Sorry to throw you off. I was not asking about my pool, but my son's pool in Georgia. He has an inground pool 18 x 38, from 4 feet to 9 feet deep. I am here in Georgia visiting them
Thanks,Ruth

Hi Ruth. Muriatic acid is correct.As for the paint its's a 2 part epoxy pool paint. I'm in Canada and the paint i use is from a company called Total Barrier Systems and i believe it's US based
http://www.tbsproducts.com/index.htm

There's a link here on the board that is excellent regarding this project and it shows step by step procedures.

http://www.planethill.com/house/pool/pool.htm

Cheers and good luck

HELLLLLLLP!!!! Started painting today. Don't have enough paint for second coat. Called the place where I got it from and they are OUT OF WHITE PAINT!!!Won't have any til mid June. How the heck a pool paint manufacturer can be out of basic white this time of year is beyond me?? :shock: :shock:

Anyhoo---Can i go and get another brand epoxy paint to apply as my second coat????? There is a source close to me that sells OLYMPIC PAINT.Will it bond with the first coat?? ANYBODY?? ANY SUGGESTIONS or THOUGHTS on this dilemma??

Thanks coloeb.That's the first thing i did. Called them and another pool place and they both said NO PROBLEM. Having learned the truth in here about the pool shop guys the answer they gave me was predictable.Maybe true or "just another sale" so I asked the question here hoping someone with true experience would give an unbiased opinion.

When I say call them I mean thier corprate office not a pool store. All major paint manufactures have sales reps for big jobs. They even come out to the job site and check prep work, paint thickness after application etc. Thay also make good on warranty if the paint fails for some reason. These guys know thier stuff, and normally wont have a issue advising you on how to proceed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.