Replacing Old Vinyl Liner, Encountered Ground Water

May 15, 2010
Hi, I am new to this forum. Any advice I could get would be very helpful. I would also like to know if anyone has experienced my problem. I hired a contractor to replace our vinyl liner. Our old liner certainly did it's job considering it was 18 years old. It was losing water however and the contractor said that he thought it was losing water at the pool light. The plumbing checked out fine. My pool is a 16x32 by the way, 8 1/2 deep. When they started taking the old liner up the contractor said ground water was coming up. We had record snowfall this year, maybe that had something to do with it or maybe an underground spring or possibly the water that leaked from the pool on top of it. The ground water was only present in the deep end of course. When the pool was initially installed the contractor encountered ground water and rectified the problem. He did not install a pump line for groundwater though. Not sure how he corrected it but like I said before I never had any problems with the liner for 18 years, no floating, etc. The contractor who is doing the liner replacement put a subpump in some gravel in the deep end and said they have to get rid of the water before they can move any further. The subpump has been in there for six days and is still pumping water. I am getting very nervous. Has anyone experienced anything like this? He told me he has one customer who's groundwater has been pumping for three weeks now! Please Help!!!!

Welcome to TFP!

Ground water can be a problem, just as you describe. However, your contractor ought to be able to take care of it, just as the original builder did during the original construction. This is a fairly common issue in many parts of the country, with several possible solutions. From what you described, they need to use a larger pump, or more pumps, and probably a more aggressive approach overall to removing the ground water. One common technique is to dig a couple of dry wells around the pool and put sump/well pumps in them.

Your ground water is enough below the surface of the pool that I wouldn't expect any trouble except when the pool is completely drained.

Thank you so much for the info. I am going to going to talk to the contractor so that we can take a more aggressive approach as you suggested. The pool is completely drained now hence the ground water. I feel much better just knowing that there is a solution to this problem. Thanks again!

Hi, it's Patricia again. Just wanted to give you an update on my groundwater problem. I suggested maybe using a bigger pump or more pumps to eliminate the water. Instead he dug the hole the pump is in now a little deeper, added more gravel and drilled about six holes in the pool bottom for extra drainage. What do you think about this? Today is Thursday. He says he will be back Saturday morning to see if it has dried up. The pump he is using runs for about 3 1/2 hours, then cuts off for a half hour. He says that he feels that there is some water coming in from the sides of the deep end around the corners. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. If this is an underground spring is this ever going to dry up using this method? Very frustrated at this point. :grrrr:

Patricia, thanks for the confidence in me :oops: :wink:

Sounds like you've got someone who knows how to deal with this problem :goodjob:

The idea is to put the pump deep enough to 'stem the tide' long enough to patch the hole they put in the floor and repair the hole and get enough water in the pool to counteract the rising water beneath the liner. (and wasn't that an involuted sentence :lol: )

I hope that they will be using 'trucked in' water to refill the pool (or a fire hydrant) A normal garden hose fill, won't be able to keep pace with the ground water :( You need to 'slam 6000 gal in the pool ASAP after patching the hole, or maybe more, if the ground water is high enough.

Don't just let them 'rip' the water into the pool down the slope to the deep end! This could cause wrinkles on the slope :evil: . Rather, have them 'bounce' the water off a deep end side wall, and having someone disperse the flow, by means of a hand cupped in front of the water feed hose, would be optimal!

I truly hope the liner drop goes well! - Ask of me any other questions you have :angel:

Pool Finally Finished!

Hi Jason, Thanks for all your help when I had issues with my liner replacement. The contractor finally resurfaced and installed the pool liner yesterday. It looks beautiful! I will upload some pics later so you can see it. I have a quick question......builder said to wait 24 hrs. before swimming.....it's been about that now.....kids dying to get in.....Can they?
Quick Response PLEASE!!!!!!! (LOL) Patricia

If they just did the resurfacing with pool crete (looks like concrete but lighter) and then dropped the liner and filled, you should give the pool crete 24 hours to cure before getting in the pool. If they did the resurfacing with sand or foam, or used pool crete several days ago then there is no need to wait.

Thanks Jason, It probably was pool crete, but we did wait a little over 24 hours. 26 to be exact (lol). Kids couldn't wait![attachment=0:mx0wh38p]0529101341-00.jpg[/attachment:mx0wh38p]

Attachments

• 0529101337-00.jpg
    0529101337-00.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 0529101339-00.jpg
    0529101339-00.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 177
  • 0529101341-00.jpg
    0529101341-00.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 177

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks even prettier today now that the water level is completely up and the sun shines on it. It kind of glitters. These pics are right after the builder left .Two loads of water were put in first. We finished the water level with our hose. I had my doubts about getting a darker liner but it is beautiful!
Thanks so much for all of your help. Patricia

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.