Is pollen raising my pressure???

Sep 3, 2008
Bucks County, PA
This may be a stupid question but . . .

After removing the cover this year, my pool is crystal clear, just the usual leaf here and there etc.

Last year, before I closed it, I did replace some of my PVC (I'm using 1.5" PVC instead of the flex hoses between the filter and pump and all the way back to the pool).

After relocating the filter, I actually shortened the amount of PVC by about 4 feet total which I would think would keep my pressure from the single return port higher than normal.,

Anyhow. I notice that even though the pool is crystal clear that after appx 4-5 hours of running, my pressure guage is at the point where I usually backwash and when I check the return port, I've got a very low flow of water.

So....

I backwash and rinse and everything is fine, pressure returns to normal etc and will remain there for about the same time period. At first it was "slowing" about every 2-3 hours.

After a few days of this it's still kind of doing the same thing. Runs for appx 5 hours or so then flow goes down / pressure up.

Now . . We do have an unusually large amount of pollen this year and even though I don't see anything like a "swap of green" on the top of the pool, (I still throw the Mesh Winter cover on until the last of the Maple blossoms are done). I'm wondering if the pollen is the problem??

If I run a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket, it does catch a lot of pollen-like / silt / scum and does clog up pretty quick so I'm guessing It's the pollen.

This is only the first week it's been "open" and it's been 20 years since I've had a pool. Last year was the first year of the install so this is my "Virgin Opening" after 20 years I guess you could say.

Even though it's clear, does this sound normal?? Is this just normal "opening stuff" or could I have a filter issue?

I've removed the quick disconnects and there is nothing in the PVC lines and I don't see anything strange when I remove the multiport valve.

I just wanted to get a few opinions. I'm going to keep an eye on it as it does seem to run longer and longer which leads me to believe that it's just pollen and junk etc, but I just wanted to check if perhaps there is something that could fail in the filter itself that may cause this. If so, I'd rather repair it now.

Any input would be a big help;. Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid but I want to avoid running it a full 8+ hours while I'm gone and come home to high pressure /low flow or possible damage.

As mentioned, after a backwash the pressure is perfect again for quite a number of hours.

Are you seeing pollen accumulate on the surface when the pump has been off? Also 100 lb sand filter seems on the small side for your pool and that may be why your pressure is rising so quickly during this heavy pollen season. You may need to back wash a little longer to make sure you are getting all the dirt out. Do you need to run 8 hours for your SWG to work properly? Maybe you can break it into 2 four hour runs until the pollen lightens up. You can also try keeping a solar cover on the pool during the day to catch most of the pollen and see if that helps slow down the pressure rise. Also if you could post a complete set of test results we can try to rule out a possible algae bloom as the cause of the pressure increase.

zea3,

I agree, I think at some point, I could upgrade to a larger filter. @ 35GPM though, I don't have any problems recirculating the water in under 8-9 hours, but if the pollen is a problem I can see where a larger sand bed may help a bit.

Today, I can say that I do see a noticable "film" of pollen on the top of the water and on top of the mesh cover.

I did a very long backwash since we had a lot of rain last night and it's been running fine for appx 4 hours now. I threw a skimmer sock in the basket and it's bright green in no time so there is quite a bit of pollen in there today,

I can actually get away with a 5-6 hour run time with the SWG on and be fine. Usually I run the filter for 8 - with the SWG on for appx 6 or so and then I have the timer come back on (just the filter) for a 2 hour run later on in the day just to circulate the water.

I'm going to take a full set of readings as well. I seem to think between the filter size and the "crazy high" pollen we've been having, that that's the main issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.