In Ground Pool?

A few off the top of my head:

Gunite Plus: Durable. Virtually unlimited shapes, colors, finishes, stairs etc. Cleaners can't hurt the gunite. Can tolerate very high chlorine levels for algae fighting.

Gunite Minus: More expensive. Longer install. Big chunk of money to replaster periodically.

Vinyl Plus: Less expensive. Liner replacement about 1/5th the cost of replastering.

Vinyl Minus: Can be damaged by some cleaners. High chlorine levels can damage liner. Some limit to shapes.

Both can be damaged by chemical imbalances, so I didn't include that for either.

The ONLY real advantage to a vinyl pool, besides the lower initial cost, is that they do better in parts of the country where the ground gets a hard freeze and that the surface is non reactive (a trait they share with fiberglass pools). They do complicate some issues such as killing algae. In all other areas I fell that fiiberglass and plaster pools have numerous advantages over vinyl.

Don't underestimate the soft feel and touch that "vejadu" mentioned. My guests comment on that virtually every time they visit the pool for the first time. That said, they sometimes comment on the inherit slipperiness of it, too.

In a vinyl pool, the water acts as part of the structure keeping the liner tight to the walls/floor, so you can only do partial drains or you risk stretching and ripping your liner if you completely drain. Leaks are also more common although patching can be done by the homeowner. An advantage of a liner pool is that after 8-10 years you can change the pattern... or if you have lots of $$$, you can change it when you want.

It's definately cheaper and can be installed in 3 weeks or less.

Thanks for the responses. Upon viewing this site, it is quite evident that many really "get into" their pools. :-D
I am new to pools this year and wasn't sure about them. Actually , my wife wanted one to play in. Last year was a very dry and hot summer. This year has been very tropical. The pool hasn't been used as much as I had hoped.

I gained my water knowledge from Ben's site. So far, following this route has given a TFP. :-D

The spa option on the IG's looks very inticing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.