Cracked Hayward C5025 Swimclear cartridge filter

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
Uh oh -

Either thru overtightening and/or degradation to the fiberglas -- the housing around the drain plug has small cracks in it and I cannot get a seal (replaced the drain plug/Oring).

If I'm screwed and need to get a new housing (5 years old - 4 paper cylinders) should I switch to more efficient, easier to clean an service unit? What would that be? I don't think there is a bondo solution for this? Threads are still good.

A new unit of this type is ~ 800 bucks.

Bob

Have you been happy with this filter? If not you may want to consider a new filter. Either another cartridge filter or a different filter medium should work fine unless you have special circumstances that would indicate one media as better suited for your pool than another. If you want to try and save this filter you could try an epoxy such as JB Weld to repair the cracks. You would need to empty the filter and dry it off well and sand the surface lightly. It will work best if you epoxy it with the plug in place. Of course, you won't be able to open the drain anymore, but you can always siphon it out!

If I were in your shoes, and was happy with the performance of the filter, I would look into buying a replacement part for the filter housing. I am thinking it is the base of the housing. If so, it can be found for about 3 bills. If you decide to get a different filter, then you must figure in the possibility of plumbing re-do. I have had Hayward and Pentair cartridge filters and both have worked fine. I have no preference. If the filter housing on my existing filter failed, I would repair/replace damaged part before replacing the entire filter assy. JMHO.

Thanks! I was remebering back to people talking about sand filters (other designs?) My wife had unfortunately selected natural slate tiles for the walls around the pool (built into hill) and this degrades to sand and MUD. So I am forever hose blasting in between the paper slats. Though maybe there was an easier to clean filtration system. If worse comes to worse I gues I will epoxy the hole shut and work with it that way until I research other filters or decide on new housing or new same filter. I think this fiberglas housing does not ultimately weather well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.