Replace or not?

pedsrn

May 29, 2007
Alabama
About the time we received our new pump, the old one quit squeeling. Not sure why..unless I finally backwashed enough.

Now I'm torn...

The water is circulating very well..strong suction/strong return. Not sure about the pressure as I've got a new gauge but have not replaced it yet. While the old one is quieter now, it still has infrequent periods of loud grinding noises and then returns to normal sound.

I am tempted to not replace the motor and pump just yet EXCEPT that I can not seem to get my pool clean. Had major algae upon opening and have now run close to 50 bucks of chlorine through it. Alkalinity was low yesterday but I put 8 lbs in so should be good (waiting on reagents to arrive to test again). I broke down yesterday and put clarifier in it only to get up this morning with dead algae floating on top instead of settled on the bottom.

Is it possible this pump/motor is not working effectively at all times...maybe hanging at times causing poor circulation? I've watched and watched and have not noticed a flow decrease, but I can not figure out any other reason that I have been unable to clear the algae. I've kept it at shock level for close to a week and other than the alkalinity, all other numbers are good (well, am adding CYA now).

TIA!

Would you replace or stick the new one in the basement as a back up?

I would schedule a time to replace the pump when it is convenient for you, sometime in the next couple of weeks. The old pump is going to fail eventually and you have the new one sitting there. You might as well put the new one in. At the same time, there is no need to rush and do it this instant if another time works better for you.

Thanks Jason. We've struggled the past two weeks to get the water clear. Numbers will look perfect, but the dadgum thing just won't clear up. I bet I've spent 80 bucks on chlorine and baking soda. Today, hubby decided to go ahead and install the new pump. He hard plumbed most of it (all except the return).

Ummm, what I said above about the other one working fine...
not true. We were immediately amazed at the difference in circulation....AND greatly pleased with the noise difference. I think we had gotten use to hearing that old one and did not realize just how bad it sounded.

I'm hoping to wake up tomorrow to a clear pool....PLEASE..haha

Thanks again for the help!

Glad that pump is working out. As for the algae, I'd strongly suggest posting a full set of numbers, and you can probably get that algae knocked out. Things like 'shock level' and 'alkalinity was low' don't really say much, as it is just too subjective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.