Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is a Pool SLide Worth it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is a Pool SLide Worth it?

We're planning our buried AGP pool project, and have been considering doing a slide.

Our kids are 12 and 11, so we'll still have a few years with them here.

We're looking at $1500 minimum for a slide. Plus, there's a chance of insurance issues, although I think mine is okay.

For those that have them, or have had them, I'm just curious if they are ultimately worth the extra cost and risk? We'll have a deep end, so the slide will drop into 6' water, the pool is 15x30 oval. The slide would attach to the deck (secured appropriately of course.)

Any advice? Thanks!
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is a Pool SLide Worth it?

If you were your kids, would you like a slide? there. that's your answer.

With a pool, it's never a case of "worth the extra cost". A pool is something you buy to enjoy (and enjoy with the kids!) so if you can afford space and $$$, why not add a slide?
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

3. Back To Top    #3

While I never owned one, when I was young, my friends and I used to stand at the top of the slide at whoever's pool we were using at the time and use it as a high platform to jump into the pool from. It was great fun, but looking back, with wet footed kids jumping from a wet fiberglass slide, we were lucky nobody was ever hurt (seriously hurt, anyway).

We chose not to have to worry about the liability of a slide or diving board in our pool, and so far (3 yrs) the kids enjoy the pool plenty.

Jumping in from the slide was fun, though!
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

4. Back To Top    #4

Of course what they don't know won't hurt them, but we loved our slide, it was a hit by all ages!
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

5. Back To Top    #5

Talked to the insurance guy (Farm Bureau here in MT) and we're good to go, fully covered.

So, looks like I need to find some money in the budget, eh?
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

6. Back To Top    #6

Our slide is a big hit as well.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Just grabbed one from Craigslist today for $100. SR Smith 7 foot high right turn slide with the "GrandRapids" water delivery system. I figured out what I had when I got home when I found this http://shop.bluehaven.com/product/rogue ... ool-slides The guy was selling off stuff (pre forclosure) and responded to my slide wanted ad. At first I tought 100 was alot for a used slide but I got there and the guy was personable and the slide is in nice shape. Then I get home and see the crackhead price they charge for these things WOW! a hunski for it was a deal!

Realistically if I were to finance and build a pool I would shell out the money and get the "Turbo Twister"
    http://shop.bluehaven.com/product/turbo ... ool-slides $2500 is alot but not much percentage wise to the build and the joy on the kids faces would pay me back
    I want my pool to be fun Like a water park so thats the way I look at it, I NEED a slide, toys, fountains and other upgrades to satisfy me
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/