DIY Pool Tile

Interesting question

This is an interesting thing to ponder.

Somewhere, maybe on this forum, I read that tile is like paint--it will look only as good as the surface onto which it is applied. I read this too late to save my own water line.

We just went through a pool renovation. Professionals installed our tile, which is small 1-inch by 1-inch tile. They did not take care to have a perfectly even surface beneath the tile. Most of the tile area is almost flat, but there are a few linear feet that are just embarassingly bad. We were too worn down to have it redone. Many things had to be redone, so the tile was not one of the battles chosen.

I am saying all this here because it is possible that a DIY pool owner may actually take more care to do the job well than a pool builder's crew might do.

Just because someone is a professional doesn't guarantee that they will always do a stunning job. It doesn't matter how many gorgeous pools I saw before going with my builder.

Lana

Words Lana :)

Many work task on a pool is not rocket science and doesen't demands years of experience to do yourself if you have the time to spend. The avarage contractor doesen't have that time beacuse then you don't wanna stand there with the bill. Of course can't you beat a real pro if he makes a good job, but a sloppy job made out of a pro is something you absolutely can compete with if you take the time.
So my advice to the thread maker is: Prepare yourself and the surface and you will be fine. Just make sure that you use the right materials. And if you have made it yourself you have more understanding if the outcome is not exactly the way you had it plan!

Here's the thing about a DIY tile install: Since the water line is mid-point on the tile, your accuracy in tile layout is critical. Like many types of jobs, the prep work is the key. Every pro I've seen set a line on the shell using a water level - don't trust the shell itself to be true. Also unless your shell was very well done, the brown coat for the tile install will need to applied to make up for waviness in the wall - I don't think thinset has the strength needed to bridge the crests/troughs of a wavy wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.