"Hand skimmer" recommendation please

Apr 14, 2008
I tried searching on skimmer and skimmer recommendation. First one had too many, second one focused more on recommendation.

I seem to go through 1-2 per year as they tear away from the side. Usewise, the usual leaves, bugs, etc. About once per week it is used to get the dogs' Kongs out, and they are a little heavier.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill

I quit using the leaf skimmers all together and opted for the leaf rake instead. These have more of a "net" type setup than the flat leaf skimmers do. I can scoop up about anything off the surface, dive down and get the odd thing that might sink and do all of it without junk falling off/out of the skimmer and get more without having to dump/empty the skimmer. I more or less fill it up and then just go over the side - let it dump inside out, bang on the side of the deck a few times to dislodge and crud that is stuck and go again if I need to. Mine has lasted 4 years vs the skimmers I had to replace every year. I think it only cost $4 more than the skimmer head.

I call the tool being discussed a Leaf Rake
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

Gosh I think we just picked ours up at Walmart or Mendards or Lowes or something - I don't remember a brand on it but I think they carry a lot of HTH brand items. I think some places carry them with the telescoping poles too but we just bought the head unit since I already had the pole. It was pretty darned reasonably priced and has lasted a number of years in almost perfect condition.

whoozer said:
They last a little longer if you put them in a rubbermaid container outside when you are done using them.

I assume this is to protect from UV rays damaging the material? I have my tools hung on brackets on the side of the house, in the shade. (Thanks to dear husband who took the time to set hooks into the brick.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.