Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Hand skimmer" recommendation please

1. Back To Top    #1

"Hand skimmer" recommendation please

I tried searching on skimmer and skimmer recommendation. First one had too many, second one focused more on recommendation.

I seem to go through 1-2 per year as they tear away from the side. Usewise, the usual leaves, bugs, etc. About once per week it is used to get the dogs' Kongs out, and they are a little heavier.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks,
    Bill
    30,000 gallon vinyl / Starite pump, Sys 2 cartridge, Max-E-Therm 333k heater / Bioguard SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "Hand skimmer" recommendation please

I use the cheapest leaf skimmer I can find. They'll usually last about a year because I leave them out all the time. Once it breaks or the netting tears I just toss it and get another one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

They last a little longer if you put them in a rubbermaid container outside when you are done using them.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

I quit using the leaf skimmers all together and opted for the leaf rake instead. These have more of a "net" type setup than the flat leaf skimmers do. I can scoop up about anything off the surface, dive down and get the odd thing that might sink and do all of it without junk falling off/out of the skimmer and get more without having to dump/empty the skimmer. I more or less fill it up and then just go over the side - let it dump inside out, bang on the side of the deck a few times to dislodge and crud that is stuck and go again if I need to. Mine has lasted 4 years vs the skimmers I had to replace every year. I think it only cost $4 more than the skimmer head.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

I call the tool being discussed a Leaf Rake
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I think I said that too - : )
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like I'm looking into a leaf rake.

Any brand names, etc that you recommend?
    30,000 gallon vinyl / Starite pump, Sys 2 cartridge, Max-E-Therm 333k heater / Bioguard SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Gosh I think we just picked ours up at Walmart or Mendards or Lowes or something - I don't remember a brand on it but I think they carry a lot of HTH brand items. I think some places carry them with the telescoping poles too but we just bought the head unit since I already had the pole. It was pretty darned reasonably priced and has lasted a number of years in almost perfect condition.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by whoozer
    They last a little longer if you put them in a rubbermaid container outside when you are done using them.
    I assume this is to protect from UV rays damaging the material? I have my tools hung on brackets on the side of the house, in the shade. (Thanks to dear husband who took the time to set hooks into the brick.)
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks all!