Why the sock?

CYA can take up to a week to fully dissolve. If you broadcast and the granules sink to the bottom, you or your automatic cleaner will likely vacuum them up. If they stay on the surface or get suspended in the water, who wants to swim in that? Besides, they'll eventually get pulled into the filter and backwashed away.

I put mine in an old sock, knot the top, and drop the bundle into the skimmer basket. That allows me to lift the CYA sock out when the basket is cleaned and drop it back in. I've actually never had it take a week to dissolve but I only ever put 1/2 cup at a time and test the CYA level some days later.

Anna

momof2grlz said:
I put mine in my leaf net attached to the pool pole then lay the pole on the deck with the net hanging in the water near a return. Works like a charm.

Interesting method but CYA is Acid after all...I would think that a pile of acid would potentially weaken the netting. I just hung my sock on a string by the return.

I read many times about adding cya with the sock/pantyhose method. Why not just pour it straight into the skimmer? The granules will get trapped in the filter where they will dissolve much quicker (with pump running of course). Just don't backwash for a couple of days or else you'll backwash it out and have to add it again.

It is common to add CYA first thing in the spring when openning the pool. Half the time there will be lots of algae and no CYA. Fighting the algae requires backwashing frequently, so the CYA can't go in the filter. By the time everything is back to normal and frequent backwashing is no longer required there is rarely any need for more CYA.

The other thing that happens is that people don't expect to need to backwash so they add CYA to the filter. Then two days later there is some sudden reason to backwash and the CYA is forgotten about, so the half or so still left in the filter goes down the drain.

It ends up being simpler to always use a sock, instead of trying to remember that you shouldn't backwash.

JasonLion said:
It is common to add CYA first thing in the spring when openning the pool. Half the time there will be lots of algae and no CYA. Fighting the algae requires backwashing frequently, so the CYA can't go in the filter. By the time everything is back to normal and frequent backwashing is no longer required there is rarely any need for more CYA.

The other thing that happens is that people don't expect to need to backwash so they add CYA to the filter. Then two days later there is some sudden reason to backwash and the CYA is forgotten about, so the half or so still left in the filter goes down the drain.

It ends up being simpler to always use a sock, instead of trying to remember that you shouldn't backwash.

Good point. Living in Houston, pools are not closed for the winter, so I forget sometimes that most (or many) people do close their pools.

Backglass said:
Interesting method but CYA is Acid after all...I would think that a pile of acid would potentially weaken the netting. I just hung my sock on a string by the return.

Hadn't thought of that, but since CYA is added rarely, I'm not too worried about ruining the net. Our pool is screened so I don't have much use for it as a leaf net anyway. At least this way, it's being used for something. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.