Switching from Perma-salt to BBB

May 12, 2010
Hi, newbie here!!!

I'm in the process of changing to the BBB Method, started three days ago. Right now I have one question. Will the cooper in my pool interfer with zero chlorine reading? For the last three days I've poured in one 182oz bottle of bleach each day. I'm still getting a zero reading.

AGP Oval 18x33x54 approximately 18,000 gallons
Sand filter

FC 0
TC 3.5
PH 7.2
AKL 40
CYA 30-50

I don't have my test kit yet. So these are basic strip test readings from the pool store. Starting today I am adding 24oz of CYA granular in a sock through the skimmer basket. It seemed to be on the low side of normal. I know I need to raise the AKL, but I'm really worried about the zero chlorine.

We opened the pool three weeks ago. It was cloudy, geenish, and slimely. We started the cooper cell on max., shocked it, scrubbed walls and bottom, clarifier. Right now it is clear and sparkling. I just do not want to get behind the eight ball on this. I've read through all the pool school thread. It seems simple with the right test kit and knowledge. This zero is stumping me. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Clodda

Welcome to TFP!

Copper does not affect the chlorine test.

When switching from PermaSalt to chlorine, you need to get your copper level down before using very much chlorine or use sequestrant.

Chances are that you have a buildup of organics in the water and the chlorine is getting used up fairly quickly oxidizing everything. You need to keep adding chlorine, as rapidly as once every hour, until you can maintain an FC level above zero.

Thank you, and will keep adding the chlorine today. That does make sense, since there was what appeared to be algae when we opened it. But I do work, will that be a problem? There will not be anyone to add and test until after 3pm tomorrow. Any guess on how long and how bleach to buy?

Clodda

I would hold off on the CYA. It will be easier to shock with it lower! Also, that pool store strip reading is pretty much useless; your actual number could be very different. Use your test kit when you get it and go from there.

Melt In The Sun,

Thank you for your input. I ordered my test kit today. Hopefully it'll be here by early next week. I did go ahead and shocked the pool by using the pool calculator since I was getting a zero reading on the chlorine. It's been 5 hours and it is still showing high chlorine levels. I added all the chlorine at once slowly. I hope that was the right way to do it. If not, too late now. My water still looks good!!

Question, I ordered the TF100. Is it going to be easy to learn? When testing your water is there a priority on what to be concerned with first, FC, CYA, PH, ALK. I've read so much the last couple of days, that things are starting to run together.

Thanks and hope everyone has a great Friday

Hi Clodda, welcome to the forum.

In general, one should make sure the PH and TA are in range before you begin shocking - as high chlorine levels can throw off the PH test. Since TA is directly linked to PH, making necessary adjustments to them first is a good idea, when the TA is low like yours. (Its not neccessary to get the TA to the ideal range if its too high, however.)

Then you want to make sure you have some CYA, or that it's not too high, since shocking is directly related to your CYA level. It's a good thing you ordered the test kit, because the strips are extremely unreliable when it comes to the CYA level.

Adding the chlorine very slowly all at once is the correct way. :)

Back to Jason's advice above - because you were using Copper in your pool, you need to get that level tested before you continue. Go to the pool store and ask them to test your copper levels.

Hope this helps, post back if you have any other questions.
You need sequesterant, like GLB sequasol, Proteam Metal Magic, Jack's Magic and if you can't find those, then use HTH metal control, which can be found at Walmart.

Okay I got my test kit today, I purchased the TFTestkit TF100.
Here are my numbers
FC 7
CC 1.5
TC 8.5
Ph 7.8
T/A 90
CYA 30

I'm guessing I might need to bring my CYA up some. How do the other numbers look? Also the testing seemed easy enough, but I'm hoping I'll get faster at it. Do I need to do all of the testing everyday, or can I use the FC and PH test that came in the little blue case/

Thank you in advance,
Carlotta

Carlotta,

Did you find out just how much copper is in your pool? That's fairly important to what we suggest next.

Yes, you will soon get used to your pool and simply use the blue kit daily or so....that's what it's for. Most folks do the more thorough tests only weeklyand some even a little less than that.

It'll be a learning curve that you'll quickly get comfortable with.

Sooner or later, you will need to get rid of the cc's in your pool but I think posting that copper test result is important before you start working on the cc's.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
0 Copper is a very good thing.

Since it's been almost two weeks since your last numbers, would you post current test results again and we'll help you get in complete balance. How does your water look?

Dave,
Here are my numbers from yesterday.

FC 6
CC 0
TC 6, if I'm understanding this correctly
PH 7.5
T/A 100
CYA 50
Pool Temp. 85 degrees. Last week I did a overnight FC test and had no chlorine loss

I tested my FC today and it was down to 4, so I added 163oz of bleach to bump it up to FC of 8. It is really hot, humid and sunny here in Middle Tennessee. Someone suggested yesterday for me to keep it at the high range of normal, but to never let it fall below 4. Feeling pretty good about it all. When I decided to make the switch I woke up in the middle of the night second guessing my decision, even had a nightmare of ugly water :) Oh, the water is perfectly clear and sparkling. It has never looked better.

Currently switching to BBB from PermaSalt
Well, I think you can officially retire that statement from your signature.....you are converted.

Those are very nice test results and you did a great job of managing your conversion.

Now, simply keep your FC (Yeah, you're understanding correctly FC+CC=TC) somewhere around 3-6ppm for the rest of the summer and you should have a troublefreepool. Nice Work!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.