Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A week without a pump - should I buy a backup?

1. Back To Top    #1

A week without a pump - should I buy a backup?

Our pool was opened last Friday. We couldn't turn the pump on till we got the water refilled over the weekend. Got it filled, tried pump on Monday, wouldn't work. Took it to a repair shop Monday afternoon and have yet to even hear an estimate. Not to mention the time it's going to take for them to actually fix it.

Should I bite the bullet, buy another pump and just keep one as a backup once we get the other one back? My pool opened very nicely but it's looking terrible now. I've been brushing and adding chlorine but it's not doing enough.

I know $200 is a lot to spend, but seriously, it's almost worth it to me after the time and effort I'm going to have to put into getting it back in decent shape.

**I did call the repair place yesterday and they said "it's been looked at, but it's sitting on XYZ's desk waiting for him to price out the estimate". They said I'd hear back by this morning definately. Yeah, that didn't happen.

**ETA: My son's birthday party is next Friday night. I had the pool opened early so I could make sure it was nice and in shape for his party.
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A week without a pump - should I buy a backup?

Given that you want it for the party I'd go ahead and buy another pump. I hate it but in order to get it cleaned up before the party you need to start on it now rather than later.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Without some circulation, you won't be able to go an entire week. You might be able to limp along using a small pump, like a cover pump or sump pump, to create enough circulation to take care of the pool. That won't be enough to use while fighting algae, but it is usually enough to keep a pool that is already clean going.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I tried our submursable pump and it just didn't seem to be doing a whole lot. I don't know if i have a small one or what? I put the pump in one side and put the other end of the hose in the other side and i just couldn't really see any water circulating. None of the settled stuff on the bottom was moving.
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

A cover pump won't move the water around the way the pool pump does, but it should keep the water mixed enough that you can add chemicals and limp along till the main pump gets fixed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have a robot cleaner that should buy you some time as it does help with circulation. It won't filter out the micro-particles obviously though, but it will help with the shocking.

If you need it ready for the party though, you may have to just buy a new one.

But, right now, my equipment is disconnected as I do work on my patio and I run my Dolphin cleaner and shock it once a week. Water has been crystal clear this whole time (few weeks). Granted though, I'm in Massachusetts and the water is still cold here.

Good Luck!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy3232
    I tried our submersible pump and it just didn't seem to be doing a whole lot. I don't know if i have a small one or what? I put the pump in one side and put the other end of the hose in the other side and i just couldn't really see any water circulating. None of the settled stuff on the bottom was moving.
    I found that putting the submersible pumps in the shallow end (on steps) and running hose to another part of pool or deep end helps a lot. If I put either of my two sub. pumps on the 10 ft bottom they don't have enough umph to get the flow up from the depth. One of my pumps is 4/10 HP the other less but not sure what rating.

If I want to move water from the deep end to shallow I have to suspend the pump down the wall about 5-6 ft (in deep end) to get flow going well enough. The smaller sub. pumps just aren't designed to raise water a whole lot.

You might also try a mini backwash of the pump by running some water, not too strong flow, into the outlet of pump. There may be some gunk in the pump restricting the flow.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine