Pump size question

Apr 16, 2007
Bucks Count PA
I have a friend that has a 20x40 irregular shape pool 40,000 gallons approx and their pump is on its way out. They are looking for a new one but currently have a 3/4hp pentair pump should they be looking at the same size or should they look for something a little bigger? What size do you think they should go with?

Also would they be able to go bigger or is the plumbing restrict them to a certain size pump?

They have a 1 speed pump and the 3/4 hp has not given any pool condition problems that I know of. I did mention that they may want to get a 2 speed pump. With that do you just run it longer to make of for the fact that the pump is running slower? Does this negate the slower speed on the pump? What would you need the higher speed for?

Thanks for the help.

The usual way to run a two speed pump is to run it on low speed for twice as long as you were previously running on high speed. That will move the same total amount of water and use noticeably less electricity, despite the longer run time.

High speed can be handy for several things. You often need to use high speed to prime the pump and to backwash the filter (if your filter needs backwashing). Occasionally, high speed is needed for vacuuming, though some pools can vacuum just fine on low speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.