Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: quick chlorine question

1. Back To Top    #1

quick chlorine question

by the way thanks for all the great replies to my other posts getting my first pool up and running

pool was filled one week ago but because I have had construction on my new deck in and around it I have not run the pump more than 2 hours a night. I have poured in 1 gallon of shock, I have 2 tablets (large ones) in a floater and tablets in a chlorinator which of course only works when the pump is on.

My chlorine is 0. starting tomorrow I can run the pump full time I would have thought the 2 pellets would have brought it up some after a week.

how long does it take typically to get chlorine up

its a 27 x 52 inch high round pool

thanks
    25,500K gallons; cartridge; IG; plaster; I'll have to look up the pump size and flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: quick chlorine question

Post a full set of test results and how they were obtained.

pH
    FC
    CC
    TA
    CH
    CYA

It's highly possible that you don't have a lot of CYA yet and the sun is destroying the chlorine very quickly. Also after a week of no FC you probably have organics consuming it too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll take a peek when I get home I am using both a test kit and strips (that came free with it) both read 0. everything seemed fine but ill post numbers

I am good with test kits as I run 4 100 plus gallon salt water fish tanks

maybe im being impatient
    25,500K gallons; cartridge; IG; plaster; I'll have to look up the pump size and flow rate

4. Back To Top    #4

I suspect that you're going to need to shock but we won't know that until we see the numbers.

Which test kit do you have?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

taylor

I added 1 gallon of shock. I was surprised that did not bring up my readings. I'll be happy tomorrow when I can start really running my pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Adding 1 gallon of 12.5% chlorine only raises the FC by ~7ppm if you don't have algae. And then with a CYA of zero that'd be gone very shortly in the sun. If you have algae it would be consumed almost immediately. If you're not adding chlorine constantly until the FC holds you're wasting you time because it gets consumed killing the algae and then the algae grows again which requires more chlorine. Only by maintaining the FC level at shock value until it kills the algae breaks the cycle.

Which model Taylor Kit?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator