building new pool...what should i do to best plan for cleanr

armstrr

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2010
Sarnia, Ontario Canada
the plan is for a 20 x 40 inground vinyl liner pool...just a basic rectangle. i plan on using a variable speed pump and an oversized cartridge filter. i am hoping to swing an EZ cover by aquamatic (manual cover using cantilever tracks).

i do have a couple of trees in my yard that may present a problem, however, if the cover is approved (and used!) that should help.

what should i ensure is included in my pool build to make cleaning the pool easy and affordable?

any recommendations on specific cleaners that are reliable, perform as described and economical to run? should i use the variable speed pool pump? all options are open since the shovel has not hit the ground yet!

thanks in advance!

This is just my $.02, just make sure your skimmer return is located near the center of one of the long sides of the pool and start off with a suction side Kreepy Krauly clone. The cheap made in China clones start around $100, they are not made as well as the $400 brand name units (cheaper plastic, etc), but should give you an idea of a suction side cleaner is right for you and if your lucky they will last 2-3 years before falling apart. I think robot cleaners are the future, but the prices are dropping every year, and they are getting better overall, soon I think they may be practical, now they are still a bit of a status symbol. I personally can not get into pressure side cleaners at this point, they cost more than suction side, they often require booster pumps, etc. and with the prices of robot cleaners dropping I suspect they will soon be squeezed out of the market.

Ike

armstrr,

There is an article in Pool School that will help you make your decision.

I would suggest a robot for that size pool and that setup. You need cleaning power in a large pool and robots generally will provide more cleaning power than the other two types.

malcolmb5325 said:
also a good idea to put in a pressure cleaner line in just incase.

If I was building a pool right now I would put in a dedicated return for pressure cleaner and plumb for vacuum cleaner too. It's not that much more cost to do that and you have options. You don't have to use either now and may go with a robotic but they are not always the best choice in certain circumstances. The are very heavy when you heave them out of the water. I have my Aquabot loaned out to a friend who cannot even bend over to grasp the handle, let alone lift is out, so I have to go over to change the bags out for her. I can't run my Aquabot during the day because, of my three cleaners, the power cord is the only one that my dogs, even the best swimmers, get tangled in. They do fine with the pressure side hose and the vacuum side hose by just swimming over it as if it isn't there. At any rate if you have the plumbing going to an from the pumping station you have many more future option.

Your desires and needs may change. Mine change throughout the seasons and the use of each is sometimes determined by what type and how much debris is going into the pool.

I have all three types of cleaner. The pressure Polaris has always been the best for capturing leave, in the fall and winter and is now doing a great job of picking up and contain the very fine chalk and clay powder, using the expensive, disposable EZ bags. Even though I have found out how to clean them and reuse I only get about 24 hours cycle time before the "fabric" begins to deteriorate. The fine powder goes right through every other Polaris bag, even with silt liners. I'm running mine now four 2 hour cycles a day (reduced it down from five and will probably try six hours a day starting tomorrow when I have time to fiddle with the timer) to keep the flying dust and sand/silt blown in and dragged in by dogs at an acceptable level.

But I just discovered yesterday, that my booster pump is rated over 1 HPSF, at 3450 rpm. That's more than double what I run my variable flow pump at for best filtering, skimmer suction, and Pool Skim venturi action and it draws less than 200 watts, more like 175 watts much of the time, while doing everything nicely. Yikes, what an energy suck the booster pump is. :shock:

I'm going to put the suction side cleaner in tomorrow to see how little rpm, or gpm, or watts will do the other jobs well, and allow the suction cleaner to do it's job well. I'm hoping to conserve even more on electricity, by using the suction cleaner and no booster pump, but I haven't done the numbers yet. The suction side cleans much more slowly than the Polaris and the Aquabot. The Polaris is the least hassle, the easiest to pull out of the pool, when you don't want it in the pool, and is the least obnoxious of the two non robotic cleaners. The hose on the suction side is big and isn't supposed to be stored rolled up. That's a hassle to me; taking the sections apart. And it does the worst job picking up leaves. If you have leaves going in the pool, you will need an in line leaf catcher to stop the leaves from making it to the pumps basket. The big leaf canister is a hassle but does the job well.

Do as much during the build as possible. It will payoff in the end.

gg=alice

Melt In The Sun said:
I have an in-floor cleaning system. It's a pain.

As far as others, my knowledge is limited. I have seen a lot of people here rave about the Pool Rover Jr. I can't answer any questions about it though...

It's going to take a bigger more powerful robot to clean a pool this size and more powerful if you want it to go up the walls and have any steep inclines like going from deep end to shallow. They can get pretty pricey but use very little electricity. Also, see if you can talk to close by neighbors, with pools, to see if you can get an idea of the types of debris they deal with and how fast it goes into the pool. Some of the robots move faster and will clean your pool faster. Mine moves more slowly than many of the newer Aquabots but that is okay as it doesn't disturb the dust on pool bottom as much as its faster cousins. If I want faster cleaning, of the three I have, the Polaris 280 is the "guy" for the job. If possible you could plumb for pressure and suction and see if you can borrow or rent a robotic.

One of the many attributes of the robots is that you can run them with out the main pool pump(s) running to circulate the water and filter. I have used the robots on several occasions when I wasn't able to run the main pump. The fine, cloth bags, do a lot of filtering and 3K to 5K gallons of water is moved per hour depending on the robot model you have. I ran mine under the ice this winter, when I had to close down the pumping station for very unusual BIG FREEZE we had. I, also, used it for a couple of months for filtering and water circulation after I cut out the old filter and pump, while waiting for good weather to put in the new ones. I purchased my first robotic, when we had a humongous leak, forcing me to shut down the system during the winter. Around here many pools are not "closed" for the winter. So with a robotic you won't have to make panic decisions, if something should go haywire, and keep your pool in good balance with some filtering while getting things fixed or replaced.

gg=alice

Seeking bids now and the different bidders have very different ideas about cleaning systems. We are proposing a 15x40 with automatic cover. One says Paramount in-floor with ozone filtration system and the other says salt system with the shark cleaning system. We are newbies to pools -we just know that we are not good at constant maintenance so which is best for us? Appreciate all input.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LD, where are you located? What kind(s) of debris do you expect you'll have in your pool? If you post the different bids in their entirety (the "under construction" forum would be best), we can look them over and help you make sure you get the things you want and don't waste money on things that sound nice but don't really work (i.e. ozone).

Location -central Florida - no plant debris (except for normal pollen) - thanks to Hurricane Charlie. Just several times a year we get incredible swarms of blind mosquitoes blowing in from the lake -hence the automatic pool cover - plus we hate screen enclosures. So which is it going to be for a 15x40? SWG (salt system) with shark or ozone and an in floor system? I will say I detest seeing that crawly thing in the pool and who knows what our labs will attempt to do with it. However we want to pick the best one for the situation.

Unlike Melt in the sun, I’m pretty fond of my in-floor cleaner. It can’t handle anything big, but if all you have is pollen and dust you should be fine.

I think that almost everyone on this board will agree that SWG is far superior to the ozone.

LD, I still think you should post your plan/bids in "under construction" where lots more people will see it. I'm not a whole lot of help!

It sounds like an in-floor cleaner would probably work for you, I do think they are overhyped and overpriced though. I don't know what they're charging you to have it put in, but you may be able to buy a top-of-the-line separate cleaner and have a big pile of money (thousands?) left over.

If you do have an in-floor system installed, I would advise you to make sure they plumb your wall returns separately (not as one of the "zones"), so that you can turn a 3-way valve and only run wall returns most of the time, and run the in-floor system only when necessary.

here is something to think about......what about a Polaris Dust and Vac system. infloor pop ups for all the hard to get to spots like steps bench seat etc, and pressure cleaner for the main body of the pool or for that matter any sort of cleaner? I am seeing more and more of these types of systems down here, the builders say they are cheaper and easier to put in then a full infloor system (don't really know what your guys charge) and you end up with the best of both types...........

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.