Zodiac G4 doesn't work...help

whoozer

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2008
Acton Maine
Ok so got my new cartridge today and put it in and my psi went down to 9.....whohoo, so now I want to put in my zodiac and let it do it's 600$+ job. Well I primed it as usual, tried using direct plumb line and skimmer plate line and no go! So then I even changed the tubing to see if the tubing I had maybe had a leak and still no go. Getting loads of suction through it but it won't start popping to actually move itself. Anyone ever had this issue with their zodiac? This thing is very finicky :roll: :roll:

Bama Rambler said:
Do you have the flow keeper valve set to the highest setting? On our Zoom we have to set the flowkeeper on the highest setting or it won't pulse. The diaphragm may also be installed upside down.

Where is that? I think the diaphragm is ok, I've never touched it since I first bought it, I'm gonna inspect again.

Did your Zodiac come with the little plastic flow check thing? My G3 did. It's a small device that you can put over the end of the suction hose to determine if it is drawing too much or too little pressure. There is a scale on it and the suction must be pulling only within the limits of that scale. Too much or too little suction will cause it to not run.

Also, check the things that Bama suggested. The diaphragm is the little rubbery thing at the opening of the bottom of your Zodiac. It looks kinda like a little mouth. Check it to be sure it is seated correctly and also that it doesn't have a stick or something obstructing it. The smallest little things can get hung on the diaphragm of Zodiacs and shut them down.

Bama Rambler said:
The flow keeper valve is part #18 in the parts diagram on the last page of the manual. It has a flapper and a couple of springs on the sides of it.

That's the thing that I was talking about. I couldn't remember what it was called. :oops:

Ok took it apart, nothing was in diaphragm and it seems to be seated fine, I went to manual online and found out what the flow keeper was :oops: I tried adjusting flowkeeper all three settings and still not working, very frustrating.
I looked for the old flow thingy and can't find it anymore, I never really used it before when I had this pool and it worked fine but now.......guess I'll try taking it apart again just to see what the deal is. Until then its manual vacuuming for me :rant: :rant: :rant:

Did you make sure the diaphragm was installed in the correct orientation? Did you turn off your other suction devices (main drain, second skimmer, etc)? can you take a picture of your setup with the G4 attached so we can see what's going on?

How old is you Zodiac? If it is more than a couple of years old, the diaphragm may need replacing. They get stiff after a while and don't want to work as well. The foot pad also wears over time and causes it to bog.

I double checked the diaphragms orientation it seems fine, I have only used the machine 2 seasons and everything seem to look ok but just wont work.
Never shut off main drain before to use it always worked fine, I think there is something wrong with the flow setup valve but I need to look at the manual more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.