Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Zodiac G4 doesn't work...help

1. Back To Top    #1

Zodiac G4 doesn't work...help

Ok so got my new cartridge today and put it in and my psi went down to 9.....whohoo, so now I want to put in my zodiac and let it do it's 600$+ job. Well I primed it as usual, tried using direct plumb line and skimmer plate line and no go! So then I even changed the tubing to see if the tubing I had maybe had a leak and still no go. Getting loads of suction through it but it won't start popping to actually move itself. Anyone ever had this issue with their zodiac? This thing is very finicky
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Zodiac G4 doesn't work...help

Do you have the flow keeper valve set to the highest setting? On our Zoom we have to set the flowkeeper on the highest setting or it won't pulse. The diaphragm may also be installed upside down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Do you have the flow keeper valve set to the highest setting? On our Zoom we have to set the flowkeeper on the highest setting or it won't pulse. The diaphragm may also be installed upside down.
    Where is that? I think the diaphragm is ok, I've never touched it since I first bought it, I'm gonna inspect again.

4. Back To Top    #4

The flow keeper valve is part #18 in the parts diagram on the last page of the manual. It has a flapper and a couple of springs on the sides of it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Did your Zodiac come with the little plastic flow check thing? My G3 did. It's a small device that you can put over the end of the suction hose to determine if it is drawing too much or too little pressure. There is a scale on it and the suction must be pulling only within the limits of that scale. Too much or too little suction will cause it to not run.

Also, check the things that Bama suggested. The diaphragm is the little rubbery thing at the opening of the bottom of your Zodiac. It looks kinda like a little mouth. Check it to be sure it is seated correctly and also that it doesn't have a stick or something obstructing it. The smallest little things can get hung on the diaphragm of Zodiacs and shut them down.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The flow keeper valve is part #18 in the parts diagram on the last page of the manual. It has a flapper and a couple of springs on the sides of it.
    That's the thing that I was talking about. I couldn't remember what it was called.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    "It depends."- JohnT

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok took it apart, nothing was in diaphragm and it seems to be seated fine, I went to manual online and found out what the flow keeper was I tried adjusting flowkeeper all three settings and still not working, very frustrating.
    I looked for the old flow thingy and can't find it anymore, I never really used it before when I had this pool and it worked fine but now.......guess I'll try taking it apart again just to see what the deal is. Until then its manual vacuuming for me

8. Back To Top    #8

Did you make sure the diaphragm was installed in the correct orientation? Did you turn off your other suction devices (main drain, second skimmer, etc)? can you take a picture of your setup with the G4 attached so we can see what's going on?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

How old is you Zodiac? If it is more than a couple of years old, the diaphragm may need replacing. They get stiff after a while and don't want to work as well. The foot pad also wears over time and causes it to bog.
    "It depends."- JohnT

10. Back To Top    #10

I double checked the diaphragms orientation it seems fine, I have only used the machine 2 seasons and everything seem to look ok but just wont work.
    Never shut off main drain before to use it always worked fine, I think there is something wrong with the flow setup valve but I need to look at the manual more.

11. Back To Top    #11

The flapper on the flow valve should be fairly hard to press in, especially in the highest setting.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Here are some links you can try for troubleshooting
    Official Zodiac troubleshooting guide
    FixYa
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!