Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Okay, so now I have a different problem this morning :(

The pressure on my pump keeps going up and down. I only noticed because the ozonator makes a lot of noise when the pump first starts up. I kept hearing this and noticed the pressure keeps going from 0 to 10 psi.

I don't think the filter needs cleaning, as it isn't up to the 20 psi mark. I cleaned the filter basket and stuck my hands in the holes to see if it was clogged, but didn't notice anything.

I also noticed the water in one of the skimmers is running really fast when the pressure tries to come up.

The water is neither too high or too low.....its in the middle of the tiles.

New pool as of last summer.......can someone help this newbie???

Thanks,
Madeline

It sounds like you have a water restriction. Is the water level at or above the mark on the skimmer plate? Are the skimmer weirs free to move up and down with the water?

Maddie said:
If by vortex, you mean the water is "gushing" into the skimmer basket, then yes. How do I fix it?

Watch the weir in that skimmer. If it hangs for even a second at the top, it will cause what you are seeing.

Yes, there is air in the pump basket housing.

And by weir, are you talking about the "flap" on the skimmer? Sorry, but I'm a very new pool owner :)

Maddie said:
Yes, there is air in the pump basket housing.

And by weir, are you talking about the "flap" on the skimmer? Sorry, but I'm a very new pool owner :)

Yes, the flap. Hold it down flat with your hand. If the pump primes and maintains flow, it probbaly indicates the weir is hanging a little.

Wow......could it really be that simple? I just turned the pump back on and checked the flap (weir). When I pushed it, it felt like it was stuck a little. Now everything seems fine!!

But when it was gushing in the skimmer, shouldn't it have been open?

Thanks guys.......you are awesome!!!!

Madeline

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The weir kind of auto-adjusts so that just barely enough water flows into the skimmer to keep the pump supplied. That makes sure the water is moving fast right at the surface so the skimmer can do its job.

If the weir sticks, even just briefly, the pump will empty the skimmer. The weir drops, pool water immediately fills the skimmer, the weir sticks and the cycle repeats. Sometimes the weir has to be sanded a little on one edge to keep it moving freely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.