welcome to my bog

What is a leaf rake?? Sounds like something I need!!

I got a CYA question...out of curiosity.

If you leave it at, say 100...
can you just up your chorine until you reach a desired FC/CYA level and that chlorine STILL be available and not wasted? I just always wonder about that. I hate having to drain water and CYA out on the ground ;)

Leaf rake
Casey-LeafRake.jpg
. It is normally attached to a long pole.

Lowering the CYA level down to around 50 or 60 is nearly always well worth the replacement water. You can go a bit higher on CYA, but I strongly recommend that you get your CYA level below 90. There are various problems that come up when the CYA level is very high. There are ways around each of those problems, but they start to get complicated very quickly when CYA is over 90.

quick update. So I drained a few thousand gallons out of the pool, filled it back up and retested CYA. Still over 100.
This time I brought along a 1:1 and 1:2 mix of pool:tap water. The 1:1 tested at 25 so I guess I've got to drain about 1/4 more of the pool. Doing that now. Thankfully, my waste line is a hard line that ends 40 feet below the pool so gravity is doing all the work. More to come...

this afternoon the pool was finally filled and showed a CYA 40 so I went to costco and got 18 bottles of bleach. I added 6 182oz bottles and scrubbed it down. The FC was around 20. 3 hours later, the FC is still reading 20. Is that normal? From what I had read, the FC was suposes to drop. The other thing that noticed was the PH is now around 8. So I tested my tap water, and sure enough, that's reading 8. That's a first for me. Our tap water is usually around 7.2.

OK- got some pics,
Here's the starting point:
[attachment=2:2lpwfbl3]IMG_3629.JPG[/attachment:2lpwfbl3]
[attachment=1:2lpwfbl3]IMG_3631.JPG[/attachment:2lpwfbl3]
[attachment=0:2lpwfbl3]IMG_3630.JPG[/attachment:2lpwfbl3]

Last night, we added a TON of bleach.
I kept the FC around 18 all day today.

Attachments

• IMG_3629.JPG
    IMG_3629.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3631.JPG
    IMG_3631.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3630.JPG
    IMG_3630.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 82
I checked the FC every few hours.
Final result:
[attachment=1:dfh0wqco]IMG_3633.JPG[/attachment:dfh0wqco]
[attachment=0:dfh0wqco]IMG_3634.JPG[/attachment:dfh0wqco]

So now I have a milky blue pool. PROGRESS!!!!
So now what? How long do I keep it up at shock levels?
According to the pool calulator, my FC goal should be 3-7ppm.

Do I just let the shock level thottle down until its about 5ppm and then keep holding it there?
How many times a day do I add bleach?
I travel some and there will be days that I'm not home. What do I do then?

Attachments

• IMG_3633.JPG
    IMG_3633.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3634.JPG
    IMG_3634.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 82
First, pool is looking great! Nice work.

Second, do not let that dog drink out of your pool when it looks like that!!! (Yeah, I know they lick their own butts, but pool chems caused a seizure in one of my dogs, so I'm a bit fanatic about that issue).

Third, I LOVE your fireplace!

Thanks Cary,
She was actually fetching her ball from the first step but ya, I hear ya. I'm gonna have to train her to not drink the water once she gets in.
The fireplace was my second masonry project and it came out pretty good. It wasn't all that expensive to build either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pete in atlanta said:

Do I just let the shock level thottle down until its about 5ppm and then keep holding it there?
You are done shocking when:

Your FC holds overnight or you lose 1ppm or less;
Your CC is .5 or less
Your water is clear (although, if an FAS-DPD test confirms the first two - clarity isn't as important)

So I suggest continuing the shocking process this evening, and then tonight before bed, do an overnight test.
Overnight FC Loss Test

pete in atlanta said:

When you are done shocking, you allow the FC to drift down to your normal 3-7 range. This could take 1 day or a few days, still test each evening.

The 3 is your "min" - the 7 is the high end of your "target" range. Most pools lose an average of approx 2ppm per day.
So you'll have to get to know your pool's demand - every pool is unique in some respects that could make that number vary.

So each evening you'll test the FC, and add enough to reach your target. Try 7 as the target, enter that in the "target" column of the calculator. You enter your test result in the "now". It tells you how much bleach. This amount should keep you above the "min" for the next 24 hours till you test again. Now say the next night, you test and you are at 5, then you only lost 2, so try not adding any, and see if the next night when you test if you are still above 3. If you are, then you know you lose about 2ppm per day, and you can target 5 instead of 7. Does this make sense?

You should only have to add bleach each evening, once the sun is off the pool.
For gatherings where you have a larger swimmer load, simply bump up the target by 2-3 ppm. Do this about an hour or so before the party. This should keep you above your "min".

For vacations - there are a couple of ways to handle it. If you have a solar cover, this cuts down greatly on chlorine loss and evaporation. So you can raise up your target by 2ppm for every day you'll be gone - up to shock level, and cover.

I've gone 9 days without any problems, by shocking and covering, but YMMV. Others have reported problems leaving their cover on that long.

If you don't cover, you can use a floater or inline chlorinator with chlorine tablets. Ideally, you might have someone that can add a little bleach for you and check on things to make sure your pump is operating properly, etc.

Hope that helps. :wink:

pete in atlanta said:

Are you done shocking?

Shocking is complete when you meet this criteria:
A. CC is 0.5 or lower;
B. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
C. And, if you don't have a FAS-DPD test kit, the water is clear.

Once you are done shocking, you let the FC level drift down to the maintenance level based on your CYA level.

You can add bleach/chlorine anytime; however, it is best to dose your pool in the evening when the sun is off the pool.

When you travel, if it is just a short trip (couple days) we might suggest only increasing the FC level or perhaps shocking.
Longer travel times involve more information and every pool and pool owner is different!
Give us more info about a travel (# of days, whether or not you have someone able to check your pool for you while you are gone and possibly add chems, etc.) and you'll get some specific ideas. :wink:

You have a beautiful back yard oasis :goodjob:

Edit: Sorry for any duplication, FPM is fast :p

pedsrn said:
Love the fireplace! My sister is having one installed at her home right now. Mind me asking what it cost you to do yourself? I'd love one, but I'm not footing the 5k she's put out for hers!

5K is actually pretty cheap. My neighbor just had one built and it cost 12K. I paid 1K for a kit from a company that used to be right here in Atlanta called Fire Rock
http://www1.firerock.us/builder/photoGallery/outdoor.php

There's another company called Isokern
http://www.isokern.net/
that makes a better kit but it's quite a bit more.
The kit includes the firebox, chimney, firebrick and "special mortar".
All the stone, wood storage and 30foot hearth was not included.

I bought a mixer off craigslist for $90 and mixed the cement myself so no delivery charge.

I chronicled the building as I went. You can view it here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/peteinatlanta/OutdoorFireplace?authkey=Gv1sRgCMexjPrf3dT7ywE#

The first few pics show what comes in the kit.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Wow, awesome pics! I'm not ready to start one yet, but I will definitely keep you in mind when I do! I'm just south of B'ham, so I could drive over to ATL to get that same kit. I'm going to head over to my sister's this weekend to see her finished product-I'll try go grab a pic then. I don't think hers will be as big as yours, but I'm not sure. Yours is beautiful! Great job!

OK- algae gone, pool clearing up. The FC is around 9ppm, PH went from 8+ to 7.0 without doing anything and my alkalinity was at 40. I added 20lbs (30K pool) to jack up the alkalinity and raise the ph.
more to come in the morning. Hopefully the pool will be clear this weekend so I can finally get in it. Schools out in two days!!!

also, I'm already just about out of the liquid chlorine reagent from the kit. The number on the bottle is R-0871. When I go to Taylor's site and search by that number, I get this:
Results
Reagent Number Reagent Description
R-0871-A FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (chlorine)
R-0871-A-24 FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (chlorine)
R-0871-C FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (chlorine)
R-0871-C-12 FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (chlorine)
R-0871-E FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (chlorine)
R-0871-F FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (chlorine)

Which one do I need ?

pete in atlanta said:
also, I'm already just about out of the liquid chlorine reagent from the kit. The number on the bottle is R-0871. When I go to Taylor's site and search by that number, I get this:
Results
Reagent Number Reagent Description
R-0871-A FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (chlorine)
R-0871-A-24 FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (chlorine)
R-0871-C FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (chlorine)
R-0871-C-12 FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (chlorine)
R-0871-E FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (chlorine)
R-0871-F FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (chlorine)

Which one do I need ?
Any of them. They are the same stuff, just different sizes and some are multi-packs.

Personally, I'd shop here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.