Please decide for me on a SWG

May 26, 2009
Eatontown, NJ
There are so many, I couldn't possible do the research to figure out which is best.

Autopilot seems very expensive, why? The digital version is LED, huh, seems like that's not too high tech?

I have a 16,000 and would rather get an oversized unit for more flexibility. Warranty is important, seems like 1 year is typical.

Can't figure out the Autopilot website on warranty, the control show's the warranty but what about the cell. What is the model or part number for the whole unit (control, manifold, & cell). What are the spec's on the cell, size by side comparison. They need work on the website.

Can someone just tell me what model they would buy and the biggest reason's why (my list so far is Pentair, Jandy & Autopilot)?

The AutoPilot digital has a couple of features the others don't, which are very very nice but hardly essential. The best one is the large alphanumeric display that can tell you things in English (more or less). It can say things like "add 240 lbs of salt", where everyone else just turns on the low salt light and perhaps shows you the current salt level (which the AutoPilot also does). They charge a premium because they are the fancy high end unit. Some people, like me, appreciate the features and are willing to pay a little extra. Others are more concerned with price.

The Hayward units have proven more reliable than most and are more reasonably priced. Hayward also has an outstanding price for a combo SWG and automation system. If you are very price sensitive then the CompuPool is a good choice.

I've had three different units on my pool in the last 8 years (as well as a di-chlor feeder and an erosion feeder). I now have WalMart bleach in a jug that I pour directly in the pool. I know when I have chlorine in the pool, and I can adjust it quickly.

I've been given all three SWCG, and doubt I'll ever install another one. Way easier to pour some bleach in the pool, and I can buy an awful lot of bleach for the price of a SWCG! I just don't need the frustration!

The AquaRite units seem to be very well received and price appropriate but whatever brand and unit you choose, shop around. Prices can be quite different from one merchant to another if adding/subtracting shipping and handling from site to site.

JasonLion said:
The Hayward units have proven more reliable than most and are more reasonably priced. Hayward also has an outstanding price for a combo SWG and automation system. If you are very price sensitive then the CompuPool is a good choice.

which hayward model has the combo swg and automation?

thanks!

edit...found it: Aqua Plus. it says it will handle variable speed pump...would that include the pentair intelliflos?

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided on the Hayward Pro Logic PS4 and a salt cell.

But having a hard time finding the Pro Logic line on the internet, even the salt cell is hard to find.

Does anybody have any website's to buy this from?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.