CYA test

Aug 14, 2009
Close to Houston
OK, I just got my CYA test today and ran it twice. I got about 25 both times which is what I kinda expected. I have the chlorine test already and can take TA and pH at work. CYA was the only other thing I really needed to test for but I thought I could get this from the pool store every so often so I didn't buy it. I had taken 2 different samples in to the store about 2 weeks apart and both times they got 100 and it was 2 different employees. I guess my question is am I doing my test right or can they be that far off? Do I keep going until the black dot is completely gone? Should I be in sunlight to look at the test or is normal inside lighting OK?

Thanks for the help,
Roger

The CYA test is designed to be read in indirect sunlight. Using indoor lighting you will tend to get a slightly higher reading that you would outdoors.

Pool stores are frequently way off.

Yes, the black dot should be totally gone, no evidence of it having ever been there even after looking for a couple of seconds.

My favorite CYA test tip:

After you test in the indirect sunlight, pour the solution back in the mixing bottle, and do the black dot search again. Then repeat. That way you are more confident in your result. And it saves on reagent...cuz I'm cheap, errr, thrifty on that kind of stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.