Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Got My TF-100...Initial Test results

1. Back To Top    #1

Got My TF-100...Initial Test results

Hello All,
    New Liner and freshly filled on Friday/Sat (5/8). Just received my TF-100. Initial Shock on Sunday, cuz I was learning BBB..Started BBB on Monday...
    Stabilizer Monday Night...As well as Bleach, and Muriatric Acid..

Numbers Right now as of two hours ago

TC = 3
    CYA = 38
    PH = 7.8
    TA = 160.

Love the test kit!!

Had to get a new thermometer at today..will put that in tomorrow.
    Gonna try CYA on Saturday again...figure it will be all disolved by then...used a Panty Hose method and let it get pushed out by Jet.

Fighting my TA now..so once I get that lowered PH should get a little lower....See how it goes...Gonna push TC up to 5...really sunny day today so I might have lost a little there...plus I was basing my old calcs on the crappy test strips...Will see how we do tomorrow.
    1) 13500 Gallons
    2) Sand Filter
    3) AG (24 FT, Circle, 4 Feet Deep)
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Got My TF-100...Initial Test results

Sounds good so far. Watch your pH as it's teetering on being too high. I suspect that you will see your TA come down through acid additions to control your pH. Try visiting the Lowering Total Alkalinity page to see how to adjust your TA.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Todays Results

TC=3
    PH 7.5
    TA 130
    FC=3
    CC=0
    CYA=40
    Temp 82
    1) 13500 Gallons
    2) Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TA looks better. Careful on the FC because you're at the minimum. Otherwise things are looking good!

If your pool is one that gets loads of sun, you can always go up a touch on your CYA. 40 ppm of CYA is definitely fine but some pools get more sun than others. You can also just target a higher FC, say 6 ppm. That will give you some cushion and that is what I do as well. I keep my CYA at 40 and target my FC at 6 because I lose 2 ppm of my FC in a summer day.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by subcpo
    Todays Results

TC=3
    PH 7.5
    TA 130
    FC=3
    CC=0
    CYA=40
    Temp 82
    Good job!

I agree w/257 that you might want to increase your evening dose target to 6 FC.

Temp 82 - y'all been in it yet?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yah I agree on bumping it up....I am gonna shoot for 6 i think tomorrow...Gonna lower my PH and see if I can get TA down some more....Waiting another couple of days for the Stabilzer....put it in Monday...Saturday I will see how it looks and bump it up to 45 to 50.. We get sun in her from 10ish to about 4ish direct in SE GA. The kids are loving it...they were in it for 6 hours yesterday..and 2 hours today...

Gonna go Borate next once I get everything settled in.

Thank you all!!

PS..Is there a good non strip PH test...I'm sorry but I cant seem to make a good guess with the color tubes..
    1) 13500 Gallons
    2) Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

There is nothing inexpensive that is nearly as good as the standard PH test. You can get some acceptable electronic meters that cost around $80 and only do PH, which work well as long as you calibrate them regularly. Most people find that they learn to read the standard PH test more precisely over time. Make sure you have a relatively bright background, a white note card held in sunlight works well, or you can try holding the view tube up to a clear northern sky.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Jason...
    I have been on Submarines in the US Navy for 19 years now and it is funny when we read gauges cuz depending on the way we look at them you can get 50 different readings....I will try your method Jason.
    1) 13500 Gallons
    2) Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Yah I agree on bumping it up....I am gonna shoot for 6 i think tomorrow...Gonna lower my PH and see if I can get TA down some more....Waiting another couple of days for the Stabilzer....put it in Monday...Saturday I will see how it looks and bump it up to 45 to 50.. We get sun in her from 10ish to about 4ish direct in SE GA. The kids are loving it...they were in it for 6 hours yesterday..and 2 hours today...

Gonna go Borate next once I get everything settled in.

Thank you all!!

PS..Is there a good non strip PH test...I'm sorry but I cant seem to make a good guess with the color tubes..
    I have a hard time with the color pH test as well.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

One thing that seems to help people in addition to the viewing conditions as Jason mentioned is to concentrate on the yellow-ness and magenta-ness, not an exact match. Your sample may be darker or lighter than the chart. Acidic (low pH) is yellow, while alkaline (high pH) is magenta. The middle, where you want to be is just red, without a yellow or magenta tint.

If you doubt your reading, add an extra drop of reagent. Oftne this will make the sample closer to the exact color on the comparator.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

11. Back To Top    #11

Ditto on the extra drop. Also: If you're doing the yellow-drop chlorine test at the same time, READ PH FIRST. Your retina will get color fatigue for yellow after you stare at the chlorine side for a little while, which will change your perception of the pH color.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

12. Back To Top    #12

Todays Readings...Dusk, full day of sun..
    TC=3
    CYA=43
    PH =7.5
    TA=110
    FC=3
    CC=0
    TEMP 82

I think that CYA has settled out...pretty much +/-3...gonna bump CYA up to 50 since all of the direct sunlight..I may wait thoughI went up to 6 tonight on Pool Calc for Bleach..so see where I end up tomorrow night.....TA is settling down..should be good by tomorrow...
    Me and my youngest daughter did the tests today..she loved the TA test....after that gonna get 20 mules in my pool.
    1) 13500 Gallons
    2) Sand Filter