Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool, Lake Forest CA

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool, Lake Forest CA

First of all, thanks to everyone for all of the great information found here. I'm very excited about maintaining my own pool (at least giving a try) with all of the great info provided here. We've just signed a contract with Mission Pools, here in Lake Forest, and are waiting for approval by our home owners assoc. which meets tonight!

Here are the specs:

110'perimeter, approx. 20' x 34' with 24" and 36" raised bond beams in areas.
    522 sq. ft. area, 19,575 gal., 3.5' to 8' deep
    IG, gunite, mini-pebble(likely Wet Edge, color TBD)
    Golden Ray stone face on raised bond beams
    3" suction, 2" return lines, 2 skimmers, 2 Intellibrite LEDs
    Raised 8' dia. spa with 8 jets, 1 Intellibrite LED
    36" high jump platform
    20' Inter-fab Build Your Own Slide
    4' Rain fall cascade
    1 Intelli Pro VS-3050
    1 Dyna Pro 1 hp pump for slide and cascade
    Pentair IC-40 SWCG
    EZ touch wireless 8 controller
    System 3 Mod Media 450 filter
    405k BTU Ray-Pak Heater
    680sf acid washed colored concrete deck
    Color concrete coping or stone coping (TBD)
    12'x20' open lattice patio cover, supported by 24" pilasters.
    Landscaping with irrigation and low voltage lights.

Thanks for letting me share, and I will start posting pics once things are underway. Of course, any feedback is appreciated.

I will say that one of the hardest decisions so far has been about installing an A&A in floor cleaning system. I still have time to do it (price seems right compared to others here), but it is listed as an option in the contract right now.

-Tim
    20' x 34' IG gunite pool with 24" raised spa, 20k galllons, Costa Tropical Wet Edge Satin Matrix pebble, 2 skimmers, 3 Intellibrite LEDs, Intelli Pro VS-3050, Pentair IC-40 SWCG, EZ touch wireless 8 controller, System 3 Mod Media 450 filter, 405k BTU Ray-Pak Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool, Lake Forest CA

Congratulations I worked for Mission Pools for almost ten years, and they are a top notch builder, and one of the few in the Master Pool Builders Guild. Who was your designer?

I would pass on the in floor system. They work well in areas with a lot of sand and fine materials (like Palm Springs or much of Arizona), but chances are you don't have much, if any, of that in your area. I would think that you would do well with a regular pool cleaner and just a little bit of time to get what it misses. The in floor heads always have "issues" at some point also.....

Typical Mission job, with all the best equipment! Great choice!!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have an A&A in-floor system, in Arizona where they "work well". It does keep the pool clean (mostly), but it's more trouble/money than it's worth. If you do get it, make sure that your wall returns are plumbed separately with a 3-way valve. Don't let them make the wall returns one of your zones! That way, you can run the system only when you need to, and save energy on low speed (2-speed pump, right?) and wall returns the rest of the time.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the feedback. The great news is that we have all of our approvals and permits and we start demo 1 week from today.
    20' x 34' IG gunite pool with 24" raised spa, 20k galllons, Costa Tropical Wet Edge Satin Matrix pebble, 2 skimmers, 3 Intellibrite LEDs, Intelli Pro VS-3050, Pentair IC-40 SWCG, EZ touch wireless 8 controller, System 3 Mod Media 450 filter, 405k BTU Ray-Pak Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP! Congratulations on your build. I know that you are excited.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

6. Back To Top    #6

Congrats! Here's to a trouble free build!
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

7. Back To Top    #7

...System 3 Mod Media 450 filter, 405k BTU Ray-Pak Heater... sounds familiar. That's the same equipment that I jacked from a pool that Mission built. You'll like that heater and filter, I do so far.
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, grey plaster with 8' raised spa
    Jandy PlusHP Pump 2 HP Dual Speed
    Sta-Rite 450 Sq. ft. Cartridge Filter
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater
    Jandy Aqualink RS-8 One Touch
    Savi Melody 12v LED lights

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the encouraging words! Here are some photos of the progress to date. I'm very happy with the work so far, and love how responsive the PB is to any concerns I've had.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks like a Mission build to me!

How come I don't see any pipes sticking up for the in-floor cleaning system

10. Back To Top    #10

Here are a few more pics as we progress. The last week has just been a lot of stone cutting for the coping and the ledger.

11. Back To Top    #11

Now that's the way plumbing should be run

Great looking project; you should be proud

12. Back To Top    #12

Been a while, so thought I'd post some updated photos. We had hoped to be swimming by this weekend, but we lost about a month due to a crisis with the slide. Long story short, we couldn't do the custom Build Your Own Slide...so plan B is a rock slide which is underway. Hopefully not much longer! Sorry that these photos are mostly of landscape, but we are really happy with how things are looking.

I think we've decided on Wet Edge Satin Matrix Costa Tropical pebble, but don't know when we might get plastered (1-2 weeks?).

13. Back To Top    #13

The stone work looks good! Curious--what is the name of the rock? It looks a lot like Three Rivers.
    23,500 approx.
    Jandy Cartridge
    IG
    Pebble
    1.5HP Pump with Jandy CV 580 filter
    SwimPure Plus with T-Cell 15

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by m3rocket
    The stone work looks good! Curious--what is the name of the rock? It looks a lot like Three Rivers.
    All of it (coping, stacked stone, waterline tile and stairs) is natural stone quartzite from Spark Stone. The waterline tile is a color called Meadow Sunrise and everything else is Harbor Mist.

15. Back To Top    #15

Well, we've been swimming for nearly 3 weeks and are thrilled with how things turned out! We were a little nervous about how the waterline tile would look with the water, but the Costa Tropical pebble really gave us the blue water we were looking for. Tomorrow the salt goes in and I'm very excited to feel the difference.

Thanks for everyone's comments!