how much weight can support on rim

May 8, 2010
ok badly worded subject but here is my question

can you sit or stand on the rim of an above ground pool? how much weight can it hold.

also I had a deck built 1/4 of the way around the pool to have it look more finished the deck comes of the top of the rail for that quarter I am now wondering how / if I can change the liner if it needs to be replaced? I have seen many above ground pool decks built over like this I just never thought about liner changes before

thanks

What kind of liner do you have? If it's a beaded liner you won't have to worry about the deck. If it is overlap or jhook/unibead, you may need to dissemble part of your deck because the top rails have to be removed to do that. That is unless you can somehow do it from under the deck?

As far as the weight on the rail, they really aren't intended for standing or sitting on, but some of the pool brands to advertise that their pool rail/wall can withstand "X" amount of weight. I would discourage it, especially since you have a deck.

thanks. its a J hook

my contractor is still here finishing up I think I will have him cut it back before its to late. of course the latter instructions say to have the deck come over so I will need to rig the latter up funny or get a new one but easier than cutting the deck up to change the liner

We have deck all around our 23 year old AGP. We are currently replacing the top deck boards. We have beveled the edges of the deck board at approx 15-20 degrees at pool rail edge and left about 1/8 to 1/4 inch space at the top (longest part) of the bevel. This is pretty much the same as the previous deck and the PB can pull the clips and rails to install the liners with no trouble.

Our deck is installed even with the top rail with a small gap but we installed a 10" wide hinged board (all composit deck) that layes on top of the rail and flips up on the hinges. Our drop in steps are attached to one of those boards. It doesn't really have a function other than cosmetic and so that people aren't catching a toe or foot in the small gap.

the good news with mine is no matter if I do it now or when the liner tears its just deck board overhang not deck framing that hangs over so its a 10 minute saw job to trim it back. the framing is where it needs to be about 1 inch back from rail and 2 inches higher.

always some small little problem

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.