Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2nd hole in skimmer leads to wall outlet..?

1. Back To Top    #1

2nd hole in skimmer leads to wall outlet..?

My inlaws bought a house that came with a rectangular pool. There are two outlets in one wall, one in the deep end, one in the shallow end. The skimmer is in the deep end. I have only ever seen water coming out of the deep end jet when the pump is running. The pool company that closes for them had no idea what the other jet was for either.

The pool skimmer has two inlets? (two holes) in the bottom. When the pump is running, there is only suction in one of the holes. I opened the pool for them recently, and on a whim, I shot a jet of water with the garden hose through the other inlet in the skimmer. Lo and behold, water shot out of the jet in the shallow end.

Any idea why the pool would be plumbed like this? What purpose would having the second skimmer hole plumbed to a pool jet serve?

Thanks.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star 1HP (1.85) pump, Hayward sand filter
    Nine Fafco Sunsaver 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2nd hole in skimmer leads to wall outlet..?

Is there a main drain? Could be an equalizer line for the skimmer.

3. Back To Top    #3

No..no main drain. Just two jets in the same wall, deep end and shallow end, and the skimmer in the deep end with the two inlets in the skimmer. One inlet leads to pump, the other to the jet in the shallow end.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like an equalizer line to me. Is it "open", or does it have a cover on it? Perhaps a picture?

5. Back To Top    #5

Unfortunately, I don't live too close to the inlaws (I guess that might be fortunately depending...lol). But no, there is no cover on the second hole. It's open. So two holes in skimmer, one leads to pump, one leads to jet in shallow end wall. Both holes are open.

What is the function of the equalizer line. If I let the water level run below the skimmer, the skimmer gets sucked dry and the pump loses prime? Is the equalizer line supposed to suck water from the shallow end to prevent this from happening? Doesn't seem to work then.

6. Back To Top    #6

On paper, the water in the pool will come up through that nonsuction pipe to equalize with the pool level. In reality, it doesn't work and you still lose prime
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)