how much does a service company charge to test water onsite?

May 17, 2009
Jasper, TN
How much would a pool service guy/company, on average, to go onsite and do a water test and make necessary adjustments? Just testing and adjustments, no cleaning or other servicing. How often do people have their water tested by an outside company if they don't do it themselves?

Before I learned to do it myself (many pools ago), I'd have someone come out from a pool company to do that check once in a while. It ran $100-150 each time, depending on where I was living at the time.

rastoma said:
How much would a pool service guy/company, on average, to go onsite and do a water test and make necessary adjustments? Just testing and adjustments, no cleaning or other servicing. How often do people have their water tested by an outside company if they don't do it themselves?

Edited for non relevant information.

I do it for free.

Odds are, that if they're calling me, they're not the TFP type and looking for someone to care for their pool. Most of the time I'll do a full site/pool analysis (water included) while I am there. That, along with follow-up, and I win about 90% of the people I do this for (over competitive pool care companies).

And in the few cases I don't win, I feel good that I've given someone a valid test and good advice.

Costs for testing vary somewhat by geographical area. As the costs of fuel rise, so do the costs of water testing service. Each company may test for different chemical levels. In Northern California, I used to pay $65 a month for weekly pH and chlorine testing and the addition of muriatic acid. I have an SWG, so no chlorine addition was necessary. I found I was having some huge swings in pH level when adding muriatic only once weekly, and they did not test for CYA. After finding the TFP website, I continued to test my water for a month until I was sure I had it, then sent the company a letter indicating their service was no longer necessary. They were actually very professional, answered my questions about equipment operation and chemical levels. TFP set me free.

I test for free (how else do I know what I have to deal with or how long it will take?). Like Jeff (taekwondodo) said, it is good for getting the business and makes me feel good that I can give an honest, accurate report on their water. Heck, I'm already there, and I'm only going to burn a couple minutes of time and pennies of reagents doing the test; why try and lose the business by trying to get paid for a little work when I might get the whole job just by being "fair"?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.